Thread: Head Colds are Not Good for Our Kids

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Head Colds are Not Good for Our Kids

Hi Everyone,
    Nick had a terrible cold this week, poor guy. He had a fever and felt really rotten. The thing is, he cannot blow his nose and he was stuffed up, that when he tried to drink or eat (or brush his teeth), he couldn't breath and he choked. I didn't want any suctioning (he really would have gone ballistic) and even a nasal syringe would have been impossible because of his sensory issues. Anyway, I didn't even mention that Nick had a cold to others, because they wouldn't understand what normal flu symptoms could mean for our kids. It's a struggle for him, that's for sure. Anyway, glad to say that he's feeling better and never ever had a crackle in his lungs, yay!
    Happy Father's Day to all the SN Dads out there,
    Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

Oh, dear, poor Nick, and poor you! A nasty cold can be complicating in our kids, that's for certain. I'm relieved to hear that Nick is feeling better.

Neither of my boys could/can blow their noses (something, which most people take for granted), and that makes clearing nasal passages very difficult. I twist a kleenex into a pointed probe and insert it in the nostril, and while my boys weren't happy about it, they usually complied. Another trick is Vick's Vapo Rub on the chest to open up the nasal passageways.

A humidifier can be helpful, especially at night, but it must be cleaned daily, meticulously, to prevent bacterial growth on the filter. We did that for a year after Jon's first pneumonia in 2009. I think we went through a vat of vinegar, a vat of distilled water, and more than 1/2 dozen humidifiers.

I'm giving abundant thanks that Nick's lungs are clear. That's the other fear we have with our kids, isn't it? A simple cold turns to pneumonia overnight, particularly for those, like Nick and Jon, with limited mobility.

This is why we cloister ourselves during cold and flu season (which I had hoped was over by now), and turn away out of country guests, who just got off of an 11 hour flight. We just did that last month, and it broke our hearts. As it happened, our friend was/still is fine, which is wonderful. But what if he hadn't been? And if Jon (or we) had become ill? The risk is just too great.

Our children are immune compromised, regardless of their diagnosis. They are more vulnerable than the general population. They aren't able to manage a cold, intestinal/stomach virus, or the flu, as well as the general population. As per your example of the simple ability to blow your nose.

A basic "cold," becomes a scary thing. I know, and I'm sending lots of healing energy and prayers to you and Nick. May all of the germs avoid you!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear that. It does sound scary and so awful for Nick. Great news that his lungs stayed clear! We're quite lucky that Kathleen's overall health is quite good. When she does get a cold she is miserable. What worried me most about the flu is that she takes asprin and the combination of the two can lead to Reye's syndrome.
    Mary Grace

We watch Tyler's health like a hawk. We try to keep any one out that is showing signs of illness. Tyler had been exposed to H1N1 last winter by his little cousin, but he had the flu shot and was fine. Right now he is being treated for yet another UTI and a first ever infection in his g-tube stoma. Gave him quite the temp out of the blue and a very raw area around the mic button. Fighting off two infections takes its toll.

So glad to hear Nick is feeling better and the cold didn't progress into something much more serious. People just don't understand how a cold can completely knock our kids flat.
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Tamie)))))) ~

I'm so sorry that Tyler has another UTI, and a G Tube infection. The latter is a total surprise, I'm sure. Has Tyler's stoma been swabbed to test for the type of infection? Could it be MRSA? If so, there is a topical ointment for that, because Jon's ingrown toenail infection was tested and Bactroban was prescribed for it. He was also on IV Vancomycin, the most common treatment for MRSA.

What does Tyler's urologist suggest to stem the tide of the UTIs? There has to be an answer of some kind for his situation. I just keep telling myself that and trying to think of what it is.

If Tyler can handle cranberry juice, then grab some organic juice at the store and add it to his blended diet or give it separately before meals. It balances the bladder's pH. I wonder whether intermittent catheters might be made with silver tips? Jon's indwelling caths have this to fight off pseudomonas. Successful for 3 years now.

Healing prayers are on their way for Tyler, and strengthening prayers for you and your husband. Please keep us posted, Tamie.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry Nick was sick. I know that could be serious in severe Cerebral Palsy. It must be awful to not be able to blow your nose. I would hate that. Thank God his lungs are clear. Hoping for a full recovery soon.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php