Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blogs: How they work, & Member Poll

Hi everyone!

Yes indeedy, The Braintalk Community Blogs have now been enabled!
    I myself have long awaited the time when we could offer this feature to you our members, because I firmly believe this is an extremely important addition to the community. In my opinion, over time, as the blogs are used, they will enrich the community beyond what we have realized from past experience with just the forums and chatrooms. They are a whole new form of expression for this community.

First there are a few things I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of before jumping in.

• Currently the way the blogs are configured requires a little more attention to a couple of details in the individual member's "Blog Settings" than you would when just making regular posts in the forum. Each member sets the privacy level of their blog.

• For example: By default, they are set at the lowest setting, allowing all members and guests to view, but only allowing members to comment.

• No matter what, unregistered guests will never be allowed to comment.

As it stands, members will need to adjust the settings in their Blog Settings Control Panel to alter this if they wish only members to view/comment, or even further privacy.
    This will better explain how the Blog CP works as well as other features of the blogs: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....
    The current configuration, gives the user the most control over these aspects.

Or, We (Mike) could change it so that only Members can view and post comments, and you are able to go from there.

The bottom line is do you wish The BrainTalk Community Blogs to be viewable to unregistered guests by default, or shall we have them only for members to see?

We are basically asking your opinion on what level of privacy you would prefer in your blogs here, as a community.

Please, I implore members that may not think they will use the feature to consider the issue at hand, and vote.
    It is not just an issue that will impact the ones that will immediately use the blogs, but members that do in the future, and the community as a whole. There will be pros and cons to either side.

The results of this poll will carry strong weight in the final decision process.

Thank you in advance for you participation in this poll.

I hope you enjoy exploring and learning the new blog feature.
    Keep current blog privacy settings, allowing for publicly viewed blogs.
    72.73%
    Change blog privacy settings to members only. User controls will be otherwise unchanged.
    27.27%

The poll is expired.

"The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

((((((David)))))) ~

Thank you for offering this poll seeking our opinion on blog privacy. I think this is important for us to consider as a community, and I hope more members will respond to your thread here.

Our forums are public, available for reading only by unregistered guests. I think that the only way that we can attract new members, or encourage former members to return, is by maintaining that option for blog posts.

Is it possible to alter the public viewing of a blog using the Blog Settings? Let's say that I post 3 blogs, which I feel comfortable having available for public consumption. Then I write a blog, which I want to keep private, among only members of BrainTalk. Would I be able to make that post private to BT members only using the Blog Settings?

The answer to that question might impact my vote, which is why I haven't voted yet.

I hope we can get a discussion going here about the privacy issue. I'd like to know others' thoughts on it.

Thanks again, David, for all you do for us.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Excellent question Rose, and a very viable concern.

As far as I can tell from my experimenting with the blog feature, the privacy setting are for all categories. Meaning they will apply to every blog post, and every category/sub-category.
      The only setting that may be individualized for each blog post is for the comments.

I may be wrong. I am still testing and investigating the capabilities, and possibilities of our new blog feature.

I am a neophyte to blogging, and thus, this software too.
      I am learning as well.
      We can learn together.

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

More Questions?

((((((David)))))) ~

Thank you for answering my question. If, during your blog exploration, you discover otherwise, please let me know.

I'm going to admit that I am confused, however. The default setting is public viewing, including unregistered guests as viewers/readers. But, we have the option of changing the default setting for further privacy, when we post a blog post. Is that correct?

Regardless of the default setting, we have the ability to change that setting for further privacy? Is that accurate?

If that is the case, then I can't understand why we can't change the default setting on a post by post basis.

For example, on the forums, there are default settings for the skins and (I think) font size. But members can change those to whatever skin or font size they want. So just because there is a default setting doesn't mean that we HAVE to use it. Is that correct?

Okay. I've lost some brain cells pondering this ... there they go, running out the door.

I have zero skills in describing technological and computer-y stuff. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
          ((((((David)))))) ~

Thank you for answering my question. If, during your blog exploration, you discover otherwise, please let me know.

I'm going to admit that I am confused, however. The default setting is public viewing, including unregistered guests as viewers/readers. But, we have the option of changing the default setting for further privacy, when we post a blog post. Is that correct?

Regardless of the default setting, we have the ability to change that setting for further privacy? Is that accurate?

If that is the case, then I can't understand why we can't change the default setting on a post by post basis.

For example, on the forums, there are default settings for the skins and (I think) font size. But members can change those to whatever skin or font size they want. So just because there is a default setting doesn't mean that we HAVE to use it. Is that correct?

Okay. I've lost some brain cells pondering this ... there they go, running out the door.

I have zero skills in describing technological and computer-y stuff. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Love & Light,

Rose
          You are quite welcome Rose,

And yes, I do understand. Discussion regarding a subject with another requires a common frame of reference. If one doesn't have that, one can not effectively communicate the idea.
          (Spock, McCoy;Star Trek IV; The Voyage Home, McCoy asks Spock about discussing his insights about life->death->life, Spock replies, "That would be impossible, we would have no common frame of reference." )
          Obviously you have a certain degree of computer skills and knowledge, and I'm sure could discuss it on some level, but that is entirely up to you.

Yes, the default settings are what will remain in effect if you do not change them yourself. Default settings allow all users, and guests to view, and members only to comment. Guests will never be allowed to comment.

The Blog CP seems quite user friendly, it just takes a little familiarizing yourself with.
          I know it is something new, and sometimes new things can feel intimidating.

My brain isn't what it used to be either. Sometimes I wonder if it is still my brain. When I got married, living in a state of communal property, things might have changed. Is it half my brain now? Did I get half of my wife's brain? Uh oh.

As I can tell so far, things set in the Blog CP will effect the blogs as a whole. The things like fonts, sizes, bold text, smiles, etc. for use within the posts, as with the forums, are built into the text editor.
          In addition to this, you can choose if/how you wish to manage the comments of each blog post. These well defined, and easily understood options are directly below the text editor, and are easily selected by checking or unchecking the boxes next to these desired options.

Why can't the security setting be changed on a post by post basis?

As I can tell as of yet, that's just how it works.

You can always change the privacy setting to more privacy or less, but it will effect all blog posts, changing all of them to the new setting.

Please remember that the blogs are very much in a Beta Stage. Neither Mike nor I know all there is to know about this addition to the software. I am only just broaching the possibilities on what they could hold for the community as a whole. Configuration may be changed as time goes by to make the blog feature fit better into our community as we, (Members & Staff) learn and understand more about their function and possibilities.

Absolutely No blog posts during this Beta Stage will be discarded or deleted.
          Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 06-18-2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

((((((David)))))) ~

Thanks for being patient with this old lady. I think I understand now.

For example:

I write 3 blog posts, which I want in the default privacy setting. I check the default setting.

Next I write a blog, which I want to be viewable by members only. I change the default setting to private.
            Ah! But now, my other 3 blog posts are also set at private.

Is that the answer? Do I win?

So, if the default setting was changed from open to the public to private, then we'd have the opposite situation. We post 3 private blogs, followed by a public one, and the other 3 go public also. Si? Oui? Yep?

I'm back to pondering how I want to vote in this poll ...

Thank you for explaining this to me again.

Oh, and I'm not afraid of it, by the way. I just want to have a better understanding of the blog feature, before I jump in.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Looks like you got it!

Comment

Granted I haven't tried this yet, but you can make a "private" category to post the private blogs in. In theory you can change those blog posts to private within that category and they should not affect the other blog posts.
                Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Working...
                X