No announcement yet.

Blogs are now live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is rare that you will find that Mike and I contradicting each other, (Really, I just talked to him on the phone, so this is best described as a joint reiteration of the above post.)

As far as content is concerned,

Of course the policies regarding the selling of products and services will remain the same. Just like the Forums, BrainTalk Communitiy Blogs are not to be used for advertising or spam. Blog topics should not be centered on politics or religion either. BrainTalk Communities is basically a "health and wellness" online community, focusing on neurology. While blog topics need not be based entirely on neurology or health, we ask that you do not swerve into areas that are inappropriate for this community. Politics and Religion as main topics do tend to be subjects that people can have extremely strong and emotional viewpoints.

But as far as the controversial, in the history of medicine, what wasn't "controversial" until society as a whole accepted it, or even proved to the church it wasn't witchcraft? How about penicillin? Wow! That surely must have been controversial! At one time, infection was even regarded as a necessary part of the healing process! Even induced by doctors of that era. Medicine would still be in the dark ages without the "controversial".

Anyone here may post about the controversial and its relevance to healthcare. This includes blogs, comments, forums, anywhere. Just don't go overboard, use good judgement, and respect each other.

So, what you can take from this is the ToS still applies.

It appears Mike didn't know all about the How To's for the Blogs as of yet, fortunately I have already done a bit of investigating, testing & playing around over the past few days. I have made (and deleted) a number of test blog posts, categories, and sub-categories. I am still familiarizing myself will all the nuances, so I am sure there is more for me to master.

Blog Categories

Categories are controlled and set by the user in the Blog CP.
    To do this:
    1. Click on the Blog tab in the Menu Bar.
    2. Then under this you should see a submenu, the last option being Blog Settings. Click on this.
    3. Then on the right side there will be a box containing the User Blog Control Panel. Find "Manage Categories" and click on this.
    4. By clicking on the "Add New Blog Category" you can then add categories and their descriptions for your blogs.

In this way you may define different categories (and sub-categories) for your blogs, and their order you wish to display them.

Blog Moderation

Since these are your blogs, you actually get to choose to have the responsibility of a certain level of moderation of them.
    You are allowed the choice of moderating the comments before they are visible. In this way you can choose which comments are allowed to be posted.
    These are also controlled in the user's Blog CP, under Privacy settings, and can be set when posting each blog post.

In this way, the blogs become in a sense, the users' own little forum for them to control. They (the members) define and establish the topics they wish to discuss. Through the comments they can nurture and control the discussion.

But no, we have not yet established any moderation of the BrainTalk Community Blogs.
    We may set up a team of volunteers to moderate or help blogs as time goes by if and when a need or interest arises.

The blogs are in a Beta stage here at BrainTalk Communities. Changes may take place in configurations depending on user input and other criteria.

Thanks for your cooperation and support,
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM.
    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Yes agate, that number can be changed. Mike and I will discuss what might be a more reasonable maximum, and I'll leave it to Mike to do the dirty work.

Any further questions or comments' please don't hesitate.
      Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 06-17-2014, 11:28 AM.

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
        Is there any chance of letting the blogs allow entries of more than 2,000 characters?
        Blog descriptions are limited to 2,000 characters. Blog entries are limited to 25,000 characters. There are two other character limits but until I fiddle around with them I'm not sure what they actually do
        Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
        Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
        Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
        Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
        Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
        Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
        Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

There's a new button on every post now--Blog This Post. I've set up a preliminary version of a blog here, with no entries yet, and I find that I can easily transfer any post of mine to it by clicking Blog This Post.

But I can also transfer anyone else's post very easily to my blog by clicking Blog This Post. Most people wouldn't like the idea of having their posts transferred over to someone's blog without their consent, it seems to me, even though the blog is confined to BrainTalk and its members.

Is this a good idea?
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Wow, another good question.

I'm afraid I can't answer this one for you.

But I can tell you how it works.

What the Blog this Post button does is similar to quoting someone. It take the post, quotes it from the forum, and places it directly in your blog. It is very similar to the Reply With Quote button, except by putting it into your blog.

Any member could quote another member's posts here anyway. This button simply gives a shortcut.

Does this help?

What do you think now?

Don't hesitate to discuss opinions....

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried using Blog This Post with your post just now, and by simply removing the QUOTE tags, I came up with a blog post that looks for all the world as if I wrote it. I added an explanatory note at the top.

This can probably be done now on the forums as well--I've never tried it. But it would be much harder to do on the forums since the original posters would probably be there catching somebody at it and saying, "Hey, I'm the one who wrote that, not you."

Maybe most people don't care if this might happen. I was just wondering.

Originally posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
              Wow, another good question.

I'm afraid I can't answer this one for you.

But I can tell you how it works.

What the Blog this Post button does is similar to quoting someone. It take the post, quotes it from the forum, and places it directly in your blog. It is very similar to the Reply With Quote button, except by putting it into your blog.

Any member could quote another member's posts here anyway. This button simply gives a shortcut.

Does this help?

What do you think now?

Don't hesitate to discuss opinions....
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried using Blog This Post with your post just now, and by simply removing the QUOTE tags, I came up with a blog post that looks for all the world as if I wrote it. I added an explanatory note at the top.

This can probably be done now on the forums as well--I've never tried it. But it would be much harder to do on the forums since the original posters would probably be there catching somebody at it and saying, "Hey, I'm the one who wrote that, not you."

Maybe most people don't care if this might happen. I was just wondering.

True, but when you think about it, anyone could copy and paste any content they find created by someone else, and post it here without proper authorization, consent, or credit.

Plagiarism is an issue that will always exist, especially on the internet.

Anyone using that feature, then removing the quote tags, thus removing proper credit to the original author; Then posting it as their own creative work; They, in my opinion would indeed be committing such an act.
                Such posts may be subject to removal, and depending upon the circumstances, further user sanctions may be implemented.

But so far in the forums, members seem to have been very good about posting and linking other works, and properly giving credit where credit is due.
                I am hoping that this will not be a major issue here. If so, it will be addressed.

Comment

It would be plagiarism, I agree, but I've seen it happen here and there on boards, though never apparently intentionally. It happened simply because people were careless about how they quoted or didn't know how.

This is probably not a big issue here as you say.

I've tried to delete my test entry on my skeleton blog but couldn't figure out how to remove the post title, which was your title, actually.

Comment

I'll look into writing a bit of code to make it so only post author's can "blog this post". Probably take a few days or more to actually get working.

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Ok so (hopefully ) only post authors can see the link to "blog this post."

Step 1 - log in

Comment

What are the rules for what we can and cannot post on the new Braintalk blog? Is everyone allowed to post?? Yeah a blog is an online journal/diary sometimes it chronicles a special project like my films or stuff like this. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... It is a great way to share a process because you make multiple posts over time. I think having a blog on this forum will be fun!
                        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
                          What are the rules for what we can and cannot post on the new Braintalk blog? Is everyone allowed to post?? Yeah a blog is an online journal/diary sometimes it chronicles a special project like my films or stuff like this. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... It is a great way to share a process because you make multiple posts over time. I think having a blog on this forum will be fun!
                          For now the TOS we use for the forums is being used for the blogs.

Guests can only read blogs.
                          "Members" can only read blogs.
                          "Community Members" can do minimal stuff with blogs ie, (search, comment, post blogs, some customizing of their blog "pages").
                          "Distinguished Community Members" can do almost anything with blogs.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Weins View Post
                            For now the TOS we use for the forums is being used for the blogs.

Guests can only read blogs.
                            "Members" can only read blogs.
                            "Community Members" can do minimal stuff with blogs ie, (search, comment, post blogs, some customizing of their blog "pages").
                            "Distinguished Community Members" can do almost anything with blogs.
                            Thanks! Sounds great! I will be blogging soon when I think of a good topic. I know you said there is a text limit. Is there a text minimum too? Like if a post is too short will it not be accepted? Can I post links to websites in the blogs as long as they are related to my post??
                            Last edited by funnylegs4; 06-24-2014, 05:54 PM.
                            Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                            My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

There is no setting that I can find for minimum characters for a blog. I'll assume it's the same as the forums at 10.

As for posting links, same rules apply to blogs as they do in the forums. Anything goes as long as it's not asking people to sign up, pay, buy something, p...orn, scams, etc etc.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                                I have put a new blog post up. comments are welcome!
                                Donna
                                Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
                                Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Working...
                                X