Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First (hopefully last) Tonic-Clonic Seizure - Advice / Questions

Hi All,

Friday night was GREAT - went to a swanky party w/ my mom - drank some, had a few energy drinks, stuffed my face on upscale appetizers ...

I'm a 42 y/o Middle Eastern male - and around 4 AM next morning I went into a full blown tonic-clonic seizure. I've never had one before. My face is pretty well battered due to my nightstand - 2 black eyes, etc etc. Anyway - I only remember "waking" up and paramedics were around asking me to get in the gurney. Went to the hospital and thankfully they didn't find anything wrong - I had a CAT scan and a blood test.

Unfortunately he told me the DMV will suspend my license and I needed to see a neurologist. 2 things I'm hoping to get:

1. Advice to ask the neurologist - what should I ask?
    2. Advice about the DMV - is there ANY way out of the suspension?

I'm grateful there are places where information like this can be traded and swapped - happy to answer any questions if anyone has one for me.

Thanks!

Al in SoCal

((((((Al)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk!

I'm so sorry that you had a tonic clonic. May it be your one and only.

I gather you weren't given an EEG (with sensors glued to your scalp), which might be the first thing a neuro would order. CAT scan is the standard test administered by ER for a patient who has had a seizure. A neuro might also order an MRI.

Do you know whether you've had any other types of seizure activity? There are several different types of seizures, with different symptoms. Do you have headaches? Do you ever notice a smell/odor that doesn't make sense to your environment? Do you daydream? Space out sometimes? Do you hear any ringing in your head? Stare?

That's just a small sample of symptoms. So you should begin with researching epilepsy and seizure types to familiarize yourself with them and with the terms used with them to communicate better with your neuro.

Is it possible that your seizure was a reaction to the energy drinks? Alcohol? Or the combination?

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Were you sleep deprived?

As for questions to ask your neuro, my guess is that your neuro will be the one with questions. So prepare yourself before your appointment with answers (learn more about epilepsy/seizures). Be prepared to offer up any information that you think might be relevant, but which the neuro might not think of or know to ask.

If you've never had any seizure activity previous to your tonic clonic, I would lean toward the energy drinks as the trigger for your seizure. Even if the energy drinks are not the cause, I would avoid them like the plague, if I were you.

There are numerous neuros in So.Cal. and depending upon where you're located, I suggest trying to find a neuro associated with a university, like UCI, USC, UCLA or with a major hospital.

Regarding your license ~ Here's California's law:

Take good care of yourself, Al, and let us know how you are and about your neuro visit.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Hmm... headaches, "zoning out", daydreaming - yes. Smells, ringing - no. I'll make the neurologist aware of this. I was sleep deprived and have been under a great deal of job and life stress.

I'll let everyone know how it goes - appt is today at 3 PM. My situation seems "light" compared to so many on this board - my prayers are with you all - especially you waiting on test results. I don't remember anything about the seizure - nothing at all. I simply remember waking up to paramedics asking me to get in the gurney.

ps: I've waved off all forms of caffeine since (now drinking decaf coffee!) - and never another energy drink - never even if it wasn't the reason, it's not like I "need" them.

Al

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
      ((((((Al)))))) ~

Do you know whether you've had any other types of seizure activity? There are several different types of seizures, with different symptoms. Do you have headaches? Do you ever notice a smell/odor that doesn't make sense to your environment? Do you daydream? Space out sometimes? Do you hear any ringing in your head? Stare?

That's just a small sample of symptoms. So you should begin with researching epilepsy and seizure types to familiarize yourself with them and with the terms used with them to communicate better with your neuro.

Were you sleep deprived?

As for questions to ask your neuro, my guess is that your neuro will be the one with questions. So prepare yourself before your appointment with answers (learn more about epilepsy/seizures). Be prepared to offer up any information that you think might be relevant, but which the neuro might not think of or know to ask.

If you've never had any seizure activity previous to your tonic clonic, I would lean toward the energy drinks as the trigger for your seizure. Even if the energy drinks are not the cause, I would avoid them like the plague, if I were you.

Take good care of yourself, Al, and let us know how you are and about your neuro visit.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you had a tonic clonic sz. (seizure). Rose gave you some great info. I've had epilepsy for 42 yrs. and I've had 2 brain surgeries to help reduce
        my sz. One thing that you should do is keep track of your sz. you should get a calendar and write down any time you have a sz. along with the type of sz. you have. This will
        help the Dr. see if there's a pattern in your sz. I always have them the first week of the month and they usually happen early in the morning or late afternoon.

I found seeing an Epileptologist the best help for me. These Drs. specialize in epilepsy and they try to find the cause of a persons sz., how to control or stop the sz. with the
        least amount of medicine. They are more updated on the best treatments than any neuro I have ever seen.

One thing you may want to try is taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day the B12 helps calm the nerves and it has done wonders reducing my sz. I also found out that nutra
        sweet and cell phones trigger sz. because both of them cause more electrical activity in the brain which can fire up the neurons and cause sz for some people.

You may want to ask your Dr. to do a SPECT and PET scan along with a MRI these tests will show a lot of detail of what's going on and what could be causing the sz.
        Be sure to cut back on the carbs and starch foods also because they turn into sugar and the sugar can cause more sz. You may want to check out the ketogenic diet it's been
        around since 1927 the diet is high in fat which builds up ketones in a persons body and the ketones stop the sz. You would have to see a dietician to get started on this.

Right now I've found using coconut oil with 100% virgin oil a great way to stop my sz. I will put some coconut oil in my food and they oil builds up ketones in my body and
        stops the sz. If I go outside I can also put it on my skin and it will stop me from burning.
        Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Thanks for all the info

The neurologist I saw let me know to not panic - LOL ...

Then she basically said a lot of what you all have said. She's going to wait for the MRI and EEG results and let me know something in August - also when my driving priv. might (hopefully) be restored. She also made me promise to let her know of any other sz activity - which, of course, I will.

MRI = 45 minutes in a tube?! I'm probably going to go to sleep .. my typical reaction to laying down for any extended amount of time.

The B12 - definitely - thanks for all the info, until I know for sure I'll cherry-pick. =)

Thanks & I'll be back in August to update the board.

Al

Comment

((((((Al)))))) ~

Not panicking is good advice! Does your neuro think that the seizure was related to the energy drinks? I'm glad that she ordered the EEG and MRI.

Sue's suggestion to chart your seizures, or any seizure-like symptoms, is excellent (of course ). Chart date, time, symptom description, and duration. Also note food or anything unusual in your diet/environment.

You don't have to wait until August to post. Feel free to join in conversations anywhere on BrainTalk, and to ask questions here if any arise.

Be well and seizure-free.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
              ((((((Al)))))) ~

Does your neuro think that the seizure was related to the energy drinks?
              That w/ the alcohol from the party, sleep deprivation from work stress I've been having and my delicate nature (LOL). She said my threshold just might be lower than other people's. No doubt I'll be lurking - might chime in! =)

Thanks Rose!

Comment

((((((Al)))))) ~

Aside from your delicate nature, I just had a feeling like that combination could lead to a tonic clonic.

Now might be a good time to consider becoming a "health nut." No junk food, less red meat, more fruits and veggies. Smoothies. Take vitamins, exercise.

Here's something else to throw into the mix ~

At 42, you might be entering into a male hormonal change. Yes, I know, you don't want to hear that. Believe me. But it is a natural phenomenon with men that the 40's begins a time of hormonal changes (as it does for women).

My son, Jon, is 44, and all of his seizures have been associated with hormonal changes ~ ages 2, 13, 18, 26, 42 ... Doctors have concurred that there is a hormonal pattern to his seizures, and that the 40's represent a vulnerable time for Jon.

It might be worth tossing that question to your neuro, and let her know that you know of a man with this history (my son). It's outside of the box thinking, but it is valid.

Jon takes Dilantin, Depakote, and Phenobarbitol to control his seizures, and he's been on these drugs for many years, because we can't take chances.

Your situation is different, and it might be worth investigating hormonal testing to see whether it has any correlation to your seizure. Something for you, and your neuro, to ponder.

Take good care of yourself, Al. Think about ways to reduce your stress ~ therapeutic massage, exercise, acupressure or acupuncture, meditation, yoga, Reiki ... pursue paths of inner peace and serenity. A side result of this pursuit is that you will sleep better. Many seizures are sleep-related, and sleep deprivation is often a trigger.

Nothing is more important than your health and well being. Listen to your body and your spirit ~ you'll notice an improvement, when you take better care of them.

Be well and seizure-free ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

I also suggest that you take note of any supplements you are taking and make sure your neuro knows about them. If, as is suspected, you have a lower seizure threshold, there are some "natural" substances that can tip you over the edge. My husband had trouble with gingko biloba.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update & update this thread in case others find themselves in a similar situation:

1. No more seizures (yet - hopefully ever) - hooray
                    2. Post EEG & Brain & Head MRI w/ contrast - neurologist says "showed nothing .. well - a brain, but nothing bad" =)
                    3. EEG was worst medical test I've ever had done & almost had a panic attack in the MRI tube - but I just breathed slowly and kept my mind busy w/ thoughts
                    4. Neurologist discharged me - and I'm ok to drive now - she noted "millions of people have exactly 1 seizure in their life and we have no idea why - and this was yours"
                    5. All said & done - the emergency room trip and the tests came out to about $12K which insurance paid about $5K and my responsibility was about 1K .. I consider myself lucky, but it still is "ouch"

Thank you for all your help - I lurked the forums and found some stories that really helped me out. Let me know if anyone has any questions - I'm happy to answer them.

Take care all ... my thoughts are with you all.

Comment

Hi Al,
                      I'm glad to hear that you haven't had anymore sz. and that you are able to get your license back. I wish you the bests of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Great News, Al!

((((((Al)))))) ~

Thank you for returning and updating us with your good news! The EEG and MRI can be a bit disconcerting, but at least they are non-invasive. Glad they confirmed that you have a brain!

I guess energy drinks have been scratched off of your grocery list, eh? This is your wake up call to take better care of yourself.

Sorry you had to fork over $1k ~ just think of it as a worthy expenditure for peace of mind and a down payment on a healthy future.

Be well and seizure-free, Al. And stop by anytime, just to say "hello."

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                        X