Thread: Yikes, doctors do not agree about me.. I am trying to decipher the complex MRI report

Default Yikes, doctors do not agree about me.. I am trying to decipher the complex MRI report

Background: In Nov 2013 I had a concussion from a bicycle accident. I was on my bicycle and a bad car driver failed to stop at a stop sign while I was crossing from one side of the sidewalk to the other. I don't remember things- from about 5 minutes before the accident to the time when I was in the Trauma Unit, which was about 20-35 minutes way from where the accident happened. When I arrived at hospital, report indicated many conditions, including: "...The patient is E4, MG, V4 for Glasgow Coma Scale of 14. She is confused and perseverating. Hospital Discharge report at hospital stated: Grossly intact without focal deficit. Glasgow Coma Scale 15...CT scan of brain shows ill- defined 1 cm focus of decreased attenuation to the posterior right parietal centrum semiovale, consistent with focal edema without significant mass effect or evidence of acute bleed. This could be secondary to insult or cerebral edema addition to nontraumatic injuries.

I saw a neurologist who was aligned with the personal injury attorney who was determined to help me get a settlement for this very real injury. The first time I visited the neurologist he was excellent and then the second time he was abrupt, odd and accusatory (he accused me of trying to fraudulently claim that the tremor in my left arm was caused by this accident when in fact I was simply giving him my medical history). I decided never to return to this doctor. It was tough getting any doctors to see me, since they don't treat accident related issues. I finally found a sports doc in April and he ordered MRIs. Unfortunately he ordered the MRI without contrast at first, so then I had to return a week later and get another MRI. The sports medicine doctor has said that I am fine and that in another year I should simply have another MRI. I worry about this. I think that the language: "A demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded. " is a big concern. When I google some of the words in the report, I see that the MRI report might be a red flag for some serious issues. Here is the MRI report. I'd appreciate any type of comments you might have, even if you have vague ideas. THANKS!!!

TECHNIQUE: A high resolution MRI scan of the brain was performed on a GE short bore whole body 3-Tesla Excite MRI system with an axial T1-weighted FLAIR sequence. In addition, after intravenous administration of Gadolinium (10 ml ProHance), axial and corona! T1-weighted SE sequences were obtained.

COMPARISON: MRI of the brain without contrast dated April 24, 2014.

FINDINGS: The previously identified focus of T2 and FLAIR signal hyperintensity in the periventricular white matter at the right parietal lobe does not enhance. There is focal volume loss at this level. Therefore, this is favored to represent an area of focal gliosis secondary to remote trauma. A post ischemic or inflammatory process is felt to be less likely. A demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded. No other pathologic enhancement is observed throughout the brain. The gray / white matter differentiation is normal.
    IMPRESSION: The previously identified focus of T2 and FLAIR signal hyperintensity in the periventricular white matter at the right parietal lobe does not enhance. There is focal volume loss at this level. Therefore, this is favored to represent an area of focal gliosis secondary to remote trauma. A post ischemic or inflammatory process is felt to be less likely. A demyelinating process cannot entirely be excluded.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Brainy One)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk!

Unfortunately, I don't speak MRI, so I can't provide you with any illumination. Perhaps the sports medicine doctor recommended another MRI in a year to determine whether there is a demyelinating process occurring. A yearly MRI will indicate any changes from the previous year.

Do you have any concerning symptoms, which you feel are associated with your brain trauma? If so, what have the neuros and sports med doc said about those symptoms?

I hope someone with knowledge or experience in this area will see your post and respond.

Meanwhile, check out our other forums, read and get to know us. We're a very friendly group.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thanks for trying to help and hugs back to you!