Thread: Celebration of Life

Distinguished Community Member

Default Celebration of Life

On the back of the invitation it reads:
    A Unitarian Universalist dies, and on the way to the afterlife encounters a fork in the road with two options: The left path has a sign "to heaven;" while the right has a sign "to a discussion of heaven." Without pausing, the UU turns right, to the discussion of heaven.
    It seems to me that is what Cat Dancer did. A few months ago the doctors announced that she had not long to live. She started to plan for that outcome very matter-of-factly. (Though internally she no doubt was shaken). But she came back from the brink of deathand now reflects on her experiences.

It was decided to go through with the ceremony which would have occurred if she had died. Today on the patio of a small bar and grill which played a major part in their lives the last few years, guests gathered for a "Celebration of the Life of [Cat Dancer]." There were guests there from every stage of her life, singing and sharing remembrances. All spoke of the strong lady who organized and managed; how she affected their lives. They spoke of the respect and love they had for her and her husband. They rejoiced that she was still with us.

After the ceremony we broke for potluck lunch and to get to know the other people she considered part of her community.

Cat wanted you (the BrainTalk community) to know that a good time was had by all.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Parsi)))))) ~

Thank you so much for sharing Cat's Celebration of Life! I love the quote!

What a fabulous idea to go through with the Celebration, so that Cat could enjoy the fellowship and love of those, who are so important to her and her husband. Positive, healing energy flowing all around them. Just wonderful.

My prayers continue for Cat's healing ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Were you there in person Parsi? How wonderful.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Were you there in person Parsi? How wonderful.
    Yes. I arrived just about the time the ceremony was beginning.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parsi View Post
    Yes. I arrived just about the time the ceremony was beginning.
    What great news that this occasion went well! I'm so glad that you were able to be there, Parsi.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Thank you so much, Parsi, for a lovely summary of my celebration, and for the kind word you offered there as well. It was a perfect day, perfect celebration. Lots of laughs, a few tears, great conversations among my friends with friends they had not met before. Everything I planned went off flawlessly
    The food and fellowship was beautiful. Several friends had come the day before and stayed overnight, so they helped a lot with the arrangements and cleanup. I can rest comfortably knowing that I've been blessed to know a wide range of lovely people in my life, and I am blessed to be counted among their friends.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    Thank you so much, Parsi, for a lovely summary of my celebration, and for the kind word you offered there as well. It was a perfect day, perfect celebration. Lots of laughs, a few tears, great conversations among my friends with friends they had not met before. Everything I planned went off flawlessly
    The food and fellowship was beautiful. Several friends had come the day before and stayed overnight, so they helped a lot with the arrangements and cleanup. I can rest comfortably knowing that I've been blessed to know a wide range of lovely people in my life, and I am blessed to be counted among their friends.
    How fantastic that you were able to organize such a life-affirming event and be surrounded by those you've meant a lot to and those who've meant a lot to you.

If I was on my "way out", there'd be a celebration all right, but it would be more in line with a "hail, hail, the witch is...." variety of party going on. lol.

I'm glad you had such an enjoyable and meaningful time.

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Cat,, you will always be counted as a friend to a lot of us, some were lucky enough to meet you in person,,I was,,and wish I could have been there for your party,,

keep on keeping on Cat..
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Sounds like a wonderful day. Such a happy event all around. Nice that BT could be represented by Parsi.
    Virginia