Thread: State of MASS banning Zyhydro

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

Default State of MASS banning Zyhydro

Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Distinguished Community Member

Steve, I am afraid with our current nanny state attitude it is only time before more states take this step and more of our meds become unavailable to us. I am fed up with legal users being hurt to try and stop illegal users from getting our meds. The new rules in Indiana will be tough on me as the nearest Pain doctor is 40 miles away and it isn't possible for me many days to make that trip. It is a shame my wife has to miss work to take me to get approval for my pain meds since I have been on them for the past 12 years.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Mark and Pharmicist Steve - I fear this is the tip of the iceberg. As I am sure you know, I am in the middle of a de-tox (involuntary) and in some ways I am glad, yes, I hurt like the dickens but I am using natural alternatives to deal with it - they may not be the best choice but they are all legal, as is aspirin. I cannot do Tylenol products due to a compromised liver - I am miserable right now but I want to let everyone know I WILL be O.K. Eventually, I am afraid all that will be left is shot jockeys. A shame - A physician is first supposed to do no harm - is that why my partner endured twelve epidural shots, one of which left her with an in-dwelling Foley Catheter for six months? they told her to self - cath after awhile as she could not stand the foley, she is female - I am Male. I DID a self cath - the most miserable experiance of my life so I could understand what she was going thru. thank god those days are long gone. a newspaper artical said 80% of ESI's were unnessacary and provided little benifit - except to the needle jockey's pocket. For some people they may work and I think that is great - However, I will not do it for personal and religious reasons. Hope this finds all doing well as possible - Blessings to all and a happy Easter
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

Alex... everyone needs to review this before going down the ESI path http://www.pharmaciststeve.com/?p=5481
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Thanks for the info, Steve.

When are these government 'drug czars' going to realize that there will always be a small percentage of people who will abuse any drug?!

I truly have compassion for the addicts; they need help and treatment. But I also get a little bit irritated that due to the 'addicts' the law makers are going overboard to restrict opiate pain medicines. I don't blame the addicts that much; they have a disease. I DO blame the ignorant government officials who wrongly believe that restricting a substance will decrease its abuse. That approach is so wrong-headed.

In college, I took a Drug Policy class. It was fascinating. The professor showed how US Drug War efforts to crack down on cocaine in Columbia had only served to INCREASE cocaine production in Bolivia and Peru. The professor said US Drug War efforts were like 'punching a pillow or a balloon'---While there MIGHT be a slight DECREASE in drug production in a certain area, the drug trade just ends up INCREASING in an adjacent area.

I highly recommend that these government 'Drug Czars' be REQUIRED to take college-level Drug Policy classes AS WELL AS classes in Pain Management basics.

I've watched the Congressional Hearings where certain Congressmen from Kentucky or Tennessee have threatened to 'pull Oxycontin off the market'. Do these men not realize that THEY TOO could end up in chronic pain one day?!

My own daily pain is so severe that I would take anything to get out of it. Without pain management, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. Without pain meds, I would not be able to eat or sleep. If I didn't have pain meds, I'd probably be suicidal. I'd be crying and begging for relief at the nearest hospital. (I remember the 'bad old days' BEFORE pain management when my mother used to have to take me to the E.R. just to get a few hours of relief from my horrific migraine pain. I really thank God that I found my pain doctor!

These government officials NEED to hear the TRUE STORIES of REAL PAIN PATIENTS. I'm sure many of their own constituents are legitimate pain patients. It seems all we ever hear about are the small percentage of 'addicts' who abuse opiates, rather than the large percentage of legitimate pain patients who need opiates in order to lead a normal life.

In my opinion, Physicians, Nurse Practioners, anesthesioligists, Should submit, at the least, a U/A every month if not a hair sample. I have seen it published somewhere, that pain med. Docs,etc have the highest ADDICTION rates of all the specelties. Of course they keep this "dirty little secret" to themselves and to thair credit, there are programs for them that allow them to keep their licenses and bless the ones that recognise the problem, What about the others - the pill mills? This hurts everyone, them, us (as patients) in making it harder to get the treatment we need, and not just shot Jockeys, although I am quite sure some of them may have problems.
    Also 10mg. hydro has been available with asprin or tylenol - I belive. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Hope this finds everyone well - or as well as they can be.
    Blesssings
    Alex44
    Skypilot