Thread: Wisconsin Open Enrollment

New Community Member

Default Wisconsin Open Enrollment

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and am looking to connect with parents with children with IEPs or 504 plans in Wisconsin. Very interested in hearing from anyone that has been denied open enrollment due to undue financial burden.
    Thanks,
    John

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi,

I was denied open enrollment about 10 years ago. We did the appeals process but lost. We then put our house up for sale....it sold in 2 months and we moved into a rental in the district we wanted to be in. We already had purchased a lot to build a house in that district so we just accelerated our plan by a few years due to the denial. We were really angry that we were denied since we already were planning to move and both districts knew that. It was actually the district that we were leaving behind that was the problem one. The one we were moving to had approved the open enroll....you need to get approval from both the districts, the one you're leaving and the one that is taking you. It was easier to just move, IMO. Wish I had better info for you!!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((John)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk! I'm sorry that it took us so long to respond to you, and I do hope you will check back to see Lisa's response.

Please join us on Child Neurology, where we discuss a variety of topics related to our special needs children.

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...hild-Neurology

Good luck with the Open Enrollment situation. I don't live in Wisconsin, and my son is 44 years old, so I have no advice to offer. Just keep advocating for your child's rights. Write to or call your local elected officials and your state legislators and Governor for assistance. In my day, I made friends with legislative aides in the offices of our county and state officials, and they often wielded some power in assisting me. And, if you think that the Open Enrollment laws are unjust, fight to have them changed.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

New Community Member

Rose,
    Thank you for the welcome and advice. My wife and I are doing just what you suggested......but why do you have to advocate so much? If people would just do their job and follow the law and regulations instead of trying to find a way not to.
    John