Thread: CHARLOTTE'S WEB- Medical Mariijuana very effective for seizures.

Distinguished Community Member

Default CHARLOTTE'S WEB- Medical Mariijuana very effective for seizures.

This was on my news on tonight. It is about a child with severe seizures, Dravat Syndrome, whose parents want to try the Charlotte's Web stain that is bred to be high in the CBD but low in the THC. Naturally they cannot get it here, and I do not expect that to change anytime soon or soon enough to save their child. They are considering moving to Arizona ( the real Charlotte was from Colorado) where brothers have developed the strain and grow it there. If it were me or were my child, I would move. The chemical that stops the seizures but doe snot cause a high is cannabidiol (CBD). There are two pill forms that contains the CBD but I do not know the how effective these are. What these brothers have developed is in a oil form called Realm Oil that can be rubbed in the skin for absorption. We have a thread about medical marijuana on this forum, but I started this one since this was on my news tonight. Gov Christie in NJ signed to allow it's use in NJ. Tattoo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlot...%28cannabis%29

Orrin Devinsky, a neurologist at New York University's Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, where he will conduct clinical trials on Epidiolex,[24] a high-CBD drug from GW Pharmaceuticals, expressed his sympathy for those who "can't wait for results from research":[1]

"If I had a child who had failed 15 medications and drug treatments and there was nothing else to do, and they were having many seizures a day that were terribly disabling, I think it would be a very reasonable thing to do to try a high-CBD cannabis product."

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Tattoo,

Thanks for sharing this info. My Epileptologist wants to start me on the medical marijuana as soon as NY finishes up with all the legal ends of it since has been passed to be used
    for medical purposes in NY the hard part is getting the legal paper work so I can have the marijuana with me and on top of that I'm not sure if my insurance co. will cover for the cost
    and take my word it is not cheap plus on top of that they want to put a sales tax on it here in NY. It may be this spring that I start the medical marijuana and the main reason why my
    Dr. wants to try this on me is because I am drug resistant to all sz. meds out on the market now. Thanks again for sharing this info. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Tattoo2)))))) ~

Thanks for posting this. We've been discussing CBD on the Child Neurology forum recently.

If CBD results in the same or better efficacy in controlling seizures, then I think it should be a first line "drug" rather than a last resort, after trying 15 different AEDs. I wish it had been available for my sons 30+ years ago.

And when side effects to CBD are mentioned, I just shake my head. I know first hand the horrible side effects of my sons' AEDs, including the ones that nearly killed them with a toxic reaction. As long as Big Pharma doesn't mess with the natural state of the medication, CBD should have zero adverse short or long term side effects, based upon what I've read about it. And, anyway, why would the government be worried about adverse side effects to CBD, when they don't give a fig about the debilitating side effects of AEDs? A bit of hypocrisy?

Jon's Side Effects:

Depakote (18 years) ~ Chronic anemia; antibiotic interaction; hair loss; fluid retention. We have to keep a close eye on his liver function.

Dilantin (31 years) ~ Gum destruction ~ had all of his teeth removed; interacts with every drug/antibiotic; bowel issues; osteoporosis; liver toxicity.

If CBD can save anyone from the hell Jon's been through, it's worth it. And it should be available to anyone and everyone, who needs it.

CBD is medicine. AEDs are drugs. To me, there is a significant difference.

((((((Sue)))))) ~ I hope you are able to begin MMJ very soon, and that you achieve excellent results.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

See this article from a few weeks ago:

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/02/111...olled-seizures
    Last edited by Firehorse; 02-18-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Firehorse