Thread: More Pharmacy problems

Distinguished Community Member

Angry More Pharmacy problems

The last time I went to my doctor, I told her that the Mallencroft brand of Ms.-Contin was upsetting my stomach and took too long to work. I have had MUCH better results with the Endo & Ethex brands. She told me their are three kinds of fillers, and that I could request a differantr brand. I have read other posts as well as done research on Mallencroft and found them to be wanting. When I went to the Pharmacist, she told me ,after I told her what the DOCTOR had told me, that with a days,s notice, they could get a differant brand. I did NOT ask for a specific brand, only that it not be mallencroft. when I stopped in yesterday, my appointment is this thursday, a differant pharmacist was working, and said the Doc had to write Not mallencroft on the prescription. when I asked him why i was not told this after the first doctors visit, when i talked to a differant pharmacist, he just gave me a blank stare and told me all the fillers were innocuos. this is B.S. I have researched this, all fillrers are not the same, and I do Not appreciate being talked down to. I only go to the pharmacy at the clinic because I have no co-pay and money has been VERY tight. This pharmacist thought he was King S..., I will check tommorow with them to see what my doc. needs to write on the script, If she cannot, I know it is higher up, I will simply go to a differant pharmacy - co-pay or not. It is my belief that the pharmacist simply does not want to deal with the extra paperwork and such. Mallencroft makes a bad product, in my opoinion, I also understand that generics can go +/- 20% on the active ingrediant, i suspect Mallencroft takes full advantage of this. This and the pharmacist's attitude has me in a state. I have to rely on Medicaid, I am scared about the future, Just look at Washington State. Thoughts?
    Blessings
    Alex44

Alex. sorry to hear about your experience. It is irritating to have two different explanations from the same pharmacy. As long as the focus is on the people that disabuse prescription drugs we will find it harder and harder to get the meds we need to live better. The focus needs to be on those of us that need these drugs while also making it harder for abusers to get them.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

New Community Member

hi, i usually get mine from a wally world, & they will always give a generic unless otherwise stated, if the generic is the kind you don't want then the dr. must write the specific brand. or name brand & sometime you have to pay premium price. Way high like from $4 a month to $400, on the same script. Absolutely crazy so ask prices before you order the stuff. To be sure. best wishes, ray

alex, sorry to hear what you've been through at your pharmacy, but you know how I struck out with my previous pharmacy when I found a large % of my Kadian capsules empty...they looked at me like I had two heads. Oh, BTW, nothing ever came of all the investigations; not the DEA, the drug manufacturer, or the corporate Walgreens offices. You know how angry that made me!! I hope you have resolved your problem!
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

alex,

a long time ago, i used to do coding for a pharmacy on prescriptions so that the pharmacy would get paid back. you have to fill out codes for all drugs so the pharmacy get's paid. usually if a drug is generic, the code is the same for all generic versions.

however, i do know that regardless if a drug is generic or brand name, if it is a certain class, the pharmacist must keep perfect records for the state and whatever other agency that requires a report of how many narcotics that pharmacy ordered and gave out.

smiling angel, what happened to you is terrible! it makes me think that if you're getting a controlled substance that comes in capsule form, you should ask for a pill tray and open the medication right there and check to see if it is okay. if you get a large number of pills that are a controlled substance, i would also ask the pharmacist to count them in front of you right there. i was shorted 10 pills out of 120 once and after i did that the next time i picked up my script, my next prescription had the number circled and the initials of the person who counted the pills. i would suggest this to any person who gets controlled substance drugs. sometimes dishonest people DO work in pharmacies and figure a pill here or there will not be noticed and then they sell the pills on the street to make money. i know this sounds paranoid, but with so many people out of work now and people who need extra money, this is happening with more frequency.

check your prescriptions!

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 09-06-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Community Member

Alex, I can't offer suggestions on how to deal with the pharmacy but I live in Washington and I'm concerned about the pending law. I had to go to the ER the other day with an obvious problem - my throat, neck and 1/2 of my face was swollen and I was running a temp, had difficulty swallowing, etc. As soon as the ER doc found out about my cervical stenosis, thoracic outlet issues, etc.., he started grilling me about what drugs I talk. he asked how long I've been on methadone (I've never taken methadone) and asked since I was a chronic pain patient how could I be getting by with only OTC and muscle relaxers. He made me feel very small but everyone else was nice as it was quite obvious I wasn't there for the drugs. I know the ERs see a lot of patients who are drug seekers but there are honest chronic pain patients out there.

Cool blessings and good luck

Newcervir- no one should be treated like you were, I have been and I know what it feels like (another story) - I would have asked for a supervisor or patiasnt advocate - even though its hard., Stay Nice - you will get bettet results. Hope you are better now.
    Blessings
    Alex44

newcervie, sorry to hear the doctor treated you the way he did as there was no call for it. I went for 15 years with chronic pain and surgeries with nothing but OTC, by the way I was still working too. That comment by him about being a CPer and only on OTC wasn't needed. It is good to hear the other people in ER were much nicer to you.

I hope you got past your spell that put you in the hospital. Are you feeling better today?
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life