Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213183858 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happenin' (Part 2)

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone !

my mom fell out of her bed at the nursing home and broke her femur bone close to her hip joint right in half. she's in the hospital, getting pain medication, but it's barely controlling the pain.

i have been at the hospital since 130am today i have talked to an orthopedic surgeon and a staff doctor. i have also called the social worker for her hospice. the question is whether i consent to the surgery. having surgery and not having surgery seem to have pretty much the same outcomes in terms of her functioning. pain would be present in both situations. i've talked to my sister, who wants to do the surgery, but i haven't gotten a call from my brother yet as he might be on vacation, since this is easter week.

i'd just like to ask for your good thoughts and prayers to ease my mom's suffering and for me to make a wise decision.

thank you all for being here and caring ,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 04-14-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

I'm so sorry about this. Of course my prayers and thoughts are with you and your mother.

Surgery seems like a big stress. If it doesn't promise a huge positive result, and if she'll be more or less the same with or without it, I might be inclined to say no to it.

Distinguished Community Member

Oh Jeannie, I'm sorry about your mom. My thoughts and prayers are with her and you. I know that you will make the right choice. Falling takes a total on older people and if they aren't mobile after the surgery a blood clot becomes dangerous. Keep us informed please.
    Take care,
    Dawn

anyone watch retro tv?i used to watch route 66 a lot
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

hey fig and dawn !

thank you for responding and for your prayers.

my mom went home today. she is getting morphine every 2 hours. she only screams when they have to change her or move her so she doesn't get a bedosre. then she's ok. it lasts less than a minute, but it is very hard to listen to her be in pain. i never wanted it to come to this.

i declined surgery. the doctor on staff who is part of my mom's team at the nursing home held my hand and told me i made a reasonable decision considering all her problems. she is the first doctor that said that. the orthopedic residents come in and they're all young and eager to do surgery. just because you can doesn't mean you have to. another doctor on the staff told me mom would have to be cleared for surgery by a cardiologist, too. she has severe heart disease and i would feel even worse if she didn't make it through surgery.

all in all this sucks. there is only one good thing to come from this and that is that i have a good chance of bringing my mom home to die when the time comes and not let her die alone in that warehouse.

thank you all who are reading this or have read it.

thank you for sharing and caring, my emotional support peeps !
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 04-15-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    WE ARE BT!

I think that you made the right choice. It will be nice if you can bring your mom home. My dad died in the nursing home without family. He had P.i.c.k.s which is a slow disease. He passed quick and there was no time for any of us to get there.

I'll keep your mom in my prayers. I do think about her and you a lot.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Distinguished Community Member JanM's Avatar

Hey Chick, I feel so bad for you. Please don't second guess yourself. God has given you the heart to make the right choice in your mom's care. Know that this is true. Praying for you and all who are here.
    I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Hey everyone

thank you dawn and jan for your comforting words.

it's been a rough week. i think i've just about recovered from not sleeping for 36 hours from last sunday morning to monday night. i never was a late night party girl back in my prime and i sure ain't now . i need 8 hours of sleep and i usually get close to 9.

i thank you all for caring and sharing ,
    jeannie
    WE ARE BT!

hey everyone!

my peeps EASTER.jpg
    Last edited by tic chick; 04-20-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    WE ARE BT!

Quote Originally Posted by tic chick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hey everyone!

my peeps EASTER.jpg
    happy late easter
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Page 8 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213183858 ... LastLast