Thread: Do you have a personal 'emergency plan'?

Default Do you have a personal 'emergency plan'?

Here's what I mean: I know you are all dealing with seizures and meds all the time. But there are times when you unavoidably find yourself particularly stressed in a long-term or undefined stretch and therefore more vulnerable to seizures.

Do you have a personal plan for such times? Do you, for instance, make intentional plans to get enough sleep/ avoid certain triggers/ eat very deliberately and healthfully/ take extra medications/ do things that you know are helpful or healing to you?

I was thinking about it because of this: my husband has been sz-free for over 2 years. He takes Keppra and Lamictal. He has recently experienced the death of his mother (she was 90, it was expected and peaceful - but still his MOTHER) and expressed himself as feeling a bit vulnerable right now. We were in touch with his neuro, who prescribed a short round of clonazepam (like 10 days) to be added to his normal meds, and that sleep was important, and we reviewed the OTC medications to avoid.

What do you do? If you've never thought about this, perhaps you should.

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

My doc prescribed Lorazapam for status seizures.

I always carry them around with me, just as a heart patient carries around nitroglycerine.
    Haven't had to use them for 3 or 4 years now... but I've always got them with me!
    Last edited by howdydave; 11-18-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    Dave ©¿©¬
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

I also carry 2 pieces of paper with me at all times...

One has a list of all of my medications and quantities (I'm taking 18 different meds) on one side and all of my emergency contacts, doctors and pharmacy are listed on the other side.

The second piece of paper is my Healthcare Proxy.
    Dave ©¿©¬
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Distinguished Community Member

I put all important numbers in my cell phone. Under ICE for In Case of Emergency, I have my contacts which include doctor and those who hold info for me. I also have ICE Pets with the numbers to be called in case something happens to me. In that case, my pets will go to the foster group I got them spayed, etc through. They know and will pick them up anywhere! At one time,. I also had made a Word Document with the information needed in case I couldn't speak such as allergies meds, etc, etc. I sent it to one who would typically be on my ICE list and need to do that again so they can forward it to any ER etc that needs info. Ain't electronic recording and communication great and fast! Tattoo

Distinguished Community Member

Cool My wife's history & meds

On both sides of a standard letter size piece of paper, I have created a dated synopsis of my wife’s medical history, events, episodes, tests (with results), surgical procedures and her practitioners with phone numbers. Also listed are allergies.

A second ½ page has her current medication regimen, listing medications, dosages and time of day. Each med is annotated with the prescriber and phone number. Also, where a generic cannot be substituted it is clearly noted.

My wife carries these in her wallet and I carry it in my wallet.

Whenever we visit a new practitioner or even an existing practitioner, we take full size copies of the most current history and meds. And, this sure beats transcribing the stuff on one’s knee on a clipboard when asked by the doctor’s office for the history and meds.

And, yes on a PC so we can update and print anytime.