Thread: Which drug is it?

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Default Which drug is it?

I was looking up information about the question on Depakine.

I had recollections of it being excreted through the skin and making you stink...

Turns out it wasn't depakine.
    Which drug am I thinking of?
    Was that Depakote?
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Hi, the drug companies and/or authorities have a lot to answer for on this question. Lots of meds have been given almost identical names but they don't have the same chemical inside and the differences from one country to another are horrendous.

I am on the Brand name med in France because there isn't a generic for the dosage my doc prescribed. It is "DEPAKINE CHRONO" (like ER) by Sanofi Aventis and has 333mg of Sodium Valproate and 145mg of Valproic Acid in each pill.

This is what the FDA say about Sodium Valproates:
    "Valproate Information
    Valproate products are FDA-approved drugs to treat seizures, and manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder), and to prevent migraine headaches. They are also used off-label (for unapproved uses) for other conditions, particularly for other psychiatric conditions.

Valproate products include: valproate sodium (Depacon), divalproex sodium (Depakote, Depakote CP, and Depakote ER), valproic acid (Depakene and Stavzor), and their generics"

Nothing that corresponds to my mix???? I'll ask my daughter this evening if I smell. No point asking the dog, he likes nasty smells :)