Thread: Rhizotomy?

Default Rhizotomy?

I was a spiney 7 years ago and also last year. braintalk was a saving grace for support and info! I had a L5-S1 fusion in 2006 and a C5-C7 fusion last year. Long story short, I have had lots of neck/back/hip pain. Myelogram, injections, allergic reactions to the dye and many Dr appointments later, my doc has suggested getting a rhizotomy of the C2-C3 nerves instead of fusing them right away. I asked his assistant, and the answer was not encouraging. Have any of you had this, and do you recommend it? I do not want to get stuck with needles, etc, if it isn't going to help. Thanks in advance!

New Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by carolynms View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was a spiney 7 years ago and also last year. braintalk was a saving grace for support and info! I had a L5-S1 fusion in 2006 and a C5-C7 fusion last year. Long story short, I have had lots of neck/back/hip pain. Myelogram, injections, allergic reactions to the dye and many Dr appointments later, my doc has suggested getting a rhizotomy of the C2-C3 nerves instead of fusing them right away. I asked his assistant, and the answer was not encouraging. Have any of you had this, and do you recommend it? I do not want to get stuck with needles, etc, if it isn't going to help. Thanks in advance!
    Sorry that it has taken me this long to see this post and respond...I've been AWOL for months. I had a couple RFA's (Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation/Rhizotomy) many years ago, however, I had it done on the nerves of the hip/groin following ACDF with autograft. The first one was awesome and reduced my pain by more than 50% and lasted more than half a year. When the pain returned, I had the procedure done again but it was unsuccessful in relieving the pain what-so-ever. I feel it can't hurt to give it a try before undergoing another surgery. Good luck with whichever you decide!

Thanks for the reply! I have decided not to get it. I read some posts on other boards, and the success rate is low, and many reported it caused more pain.