Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT is on autopilot (sort of) for awhile

Howdy folks

As some of you know I've been going to college (A.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in computer studies ... what a mouthful) and mid terms are in two weeks. Aside from school and homework eating a bunch of time, I am the treasurer of the Student Veterans Organization here at the campus. That doesn't take a lot of time really, maybe a few hours a week.

On top of that I am now working part time (16 to 20 hours a week) at the local Midas shop doing oil changes and brake jobs. Soon I'll be trained to do the "service writing" which means I will be interacting with the customers to find out what they want and need.

Finally I also volunteer at the local animal shelter 12 hours a week. I socialize kitty cats so their transition to their permanent homes is easier on them and their new people. I will be adopting two kitties from the shelter very soon (probably next week) and will post pictures once they are comfortable in their new home

So with the mid terms in two weeks, I'm not going to have much free time to tinker with BT. I've had to leave a few major jobs on hold (seriously thinking about upgrading the forum from the 4.x software to the 4.2.1 now that it is stable) but I do check it daily to see that it's up and running.

David is on vacation for awhile but should be back soon, and he has the ability to restart the server if it crashes. David also has my cell # in case something happens that he can't fix. I carry a back up (from the previous Sunday) of the files and the database with me so I can do fixes from school if need be.

To summarize, there is nothing to worry about BT is running strong and stable but the admin presence will be minimal for the month of October.

My schedule looks something like this (I wake up at 7am and go to bed around midnight):
    • Mon - classes from 9am until 1pm, then volunteer at the shelter from 1pm until 5pm, homework from 7pm until 10pm or 11pm depending on how much I have
    • Tues - classes from 9am until 4pm, then spend an hour or so with the Veterans Organization
    • Wed - classes from 9am until 1pm, then volunteer at the shelter from 1pm until 5pm, homework from 7pm until 10pm or 11pm depending on how much I have
    • Thur - work from 8am until 12pm, then class from 1pm until 4pm, then an hour or so with the Vets Club, finish any homework due by 8am on Friday
    • Fri - no classes , volunteer at the shelter from 12pm until 5pm, spend a couple of hours working on homework that is due for the next week that isn't done yet
    • Sat - work from 8am until 4pm but usually get stuck there until 6pm, Sat evening is used for relaxing
    • Sun - work from 8am until 4pm but usually get stuck there until 5pm, Sun evening is NASCAR night
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Well, you are one busy young man! Thank you for all you do for this forum. I appreciate it!

Comment

You are a busy man for sure. It will pay off though as you will learn organizational skills to get it all in, and making the list as you have will help as well. I am happy to hear of your volunteer work at the animal shelter. That is an area near and dear to my heart for sure. I have three homeless cats and have always brought home those with no home. Usually they were to be given to a foster group so they can find the home, but usually they never made it back out the door and stayed with me. You will find they are the best friends you will ever have and will bring such joy. Two of my adoptees were from the shelter, one adopted me while I was a volunteer, and the others were homeless on the street. I think your activities and endeavors are very admirable and wish you an easy Fall semester. Don't forget about is here. Tattoo

Comment

Be sure to take some time for you Mike. Good luck with your classes,

Thanks for all of your help and attention.
        Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Wow, you are busy! Thank you for keeping BT going with all you have going on! :) Good luck with your studies!

Lisa O.
          sigpicLisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Comment

Hi Mike,

You are one busy man! Can I have all the energy that you have, it would be great! Just don't overdo it and take it easy on yourself. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

((((((Mike))))))

What a cool guy you are!

You are a man of service ~ to your country and to fellow vets/students, to the animal shelter, to us ... Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all of these gifts.

Good luck on your mid terms; I'm sure you'll breeze through them!

Looking forward to the photos of your kitties! Awwww ...

Thanks for letting us know about your absence. While you and David are away, we'll be on our best behavior!

Love & Light,

Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Sooooooooooooo, what are you planning to do with your spare time....??????
                I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Comment

Hi Mike, Thanks for keeping us updated. You are a good person to do all you do, especially here.
                  All my best, Diandra

Comment

Greetings

image.jpg

Hey everyone. I'm chiming in from the south side of Maui. It's a beautiful morning here, and I'm getting ready to head off for Hana with an old pal of mine that I grew up with in my hometown back in California.
                    I will look in on things as I do my daily emails, as Mike said, there should be no problems. If something creeps up, I'll do what I can, but I am a bit limited by the hardware I brought with me. I do have my iPad & phone with me, and I can reach Mike by phone (there is cell service all over the island) in in the unlikely event there is a bigger problem.

Hang loose
                    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Hi Mike - Great things you are doing. I love kitty's and the position you describe (socializing kitty's) has given me inspiration that I could do something like that - I am looking into it. I am sure you will instantly fall in love with your new kittens - they are little love machines.
                      good luck with your studies, From getting my degree, I know it can be a grind but hang in there.
                      Good luck
                      Blessings
                      Alex44

Comment

Good job and good luck, Mike.

Comment

You are one busy guy. At least you have your Sundays for NASCAR. Go Jimmy Johnson!
                          Gene

Comment

I am taken aback by all of your replies. I wasn't expecting anything like this I've been getting the run around with my job lately. I'm supposed to be signing a hiring package, but the lady in charge is in AZ :( Oh well sooner or later she has to come back

I actually only have 1 real midterm to worry about. My math teacher broke the midterm into 3 parts, we've already done 2 (got an A on both) and will be doing the thid one in Nov sometime. He mentioned this to us just today which was a nice surprise. My computer, typing, and business English midterms all appear to be easy from the "practice midterm's" we've done. My intro to business midterm is going to be a pain in the *** though :( So midterm week shouldn't be such a big deal for me after all :)

I am truly happy to be able to help (by keeping BT up and running) nuthatch :)

Tattoo2 I've always loved animals but cats and dolphins are my top two. I'd love to discuss kitties and share pictures with you if you are up to it. I will start a topic sometime after midterms in the Chit-Chat Forum ;)

Sally that's what I plan on doing Fri and Sat nights assuming that all of my homework is finished :)

andromeda31 thank you I'll need all of the luck I can muster for this business midterm

Porkette if I had any energy to spare I'd gladly share it :) One good thing about being this busy is that it is helping my insomnia. I am falling asleep faster now than I was just a couple of months ago :)

{{{{{Rose}}}}} Being good all of the time isn't fun ;p You've got to be bad every once in awhile to keep people on their toes :)

JanM ummmm spare time? Play with the kitties of course!

Diandra I am a helper at heart. I always feel like I could do more though :(

David you suck! I wanna go to Maui :(

alex go for it! You will never know if you don't inquire, and if it's somthing you are able to do I'm positive you will enjoy it a lot :)

Thanks Purpel1 :)

Geneo76 NASCAR! I have to admit that JJ is a good driver. However I think there's something a little odd about his team having cars that are noticably better than the rest of HMS. I was an Earnhardt Sr. fan, I like Jr. but he is too safe with his set ups and racing. Kenseth is the driver I root for the most. That man can wheel a car, and this "rookie" year with his new team is proof enough of that :) Man I could go on all day about NASCAR, perhaps we need a thread in Chit-Chat for it ;)
                            Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                            Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                            Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                            Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                            Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                            Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                            Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Congrats for your well earned "A"s.
                              Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Working...
                              X