Thread: It's been a LONG time

Hybrid View

Default It's been a LONG time

Hello I haven't been on this site for a long time. Not much has changed. Although I still continue to have seizures at least 3 a month I haven't been looking on this site at all. I recently went to neurologist and because I still keep having them she would like to try something else. Right now I take Carbatrol 600 mg twice daily and Lamotrigne 375mg morning and 450mg night. She would like to change me to either Keppra OR Vimpat instead of the Lamotrigne. Any suggestions on pro or cons of each? Thank you very much

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Brain waves))))))

Welcome Back!

I'm not familiar with any of those AED's, so unfortunately, I can't be of any help to you. But I know several of our members do have experience with these meds, so I hope they will chime in soon with their opinions.

I'm so sorry that you are still having seizures, and I hope that a med change will result in their cessation.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member

Hello I am sorry you are still having seizures. I do hope your doc is an Epileptologist who has done the Fellowship in Epilepsy and not a general neurologist. If it is the latter and because you are still having seizures regularly, please find an Epileptologist at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center who can offer you the options that may stop your seizures. You may know all of this already, and I apologize if it is a repeat, but it is very important and helpful information. I have taken Lamotrogine and Keppra. I took both together after my surgery, but I had to buy just one due to finances and decided on Keppra. I found it to be a good choice for me. Before surgery, I took Lamotrogine with Tegretol, and the two together enhanced the Tegretol to a toxic level. The Keppra alone is what I now take and have since after surgery 15 years ago. I have had great luck with it. If you have tried three meds and you seizures have not stopped, the chance that any med will ever stop them is less than 15%. That is proven. That is why if you can get to a Comprehensive Center no matter the drive, get to one, a Level 4, that can offer you more options. Keep us posted and welcome back. Tattoo

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Brain waves,

It's great to see you back again. I have been on both Keppra and vimpat and I will say that the Keppra increased my sz. and made me very moody along with a hot temper.
    My Epi had me on the drug for only 1 month and took me off of it and them put me on vimpat and I will say vimpat has really decreased my sz. especially my complex partial sz.
    so far this yr. I've only had 1 of them, Vimpat also has decreased my absence sz. really good also. I have also found that vimpat doesn't have the bad side effects like the keppra
    did, it will make you a little sleepy in the beginning but after awhile you get used to it and now I don't even notice the sleepy feeling I had when I first started the vimpat.

I wish you the best of luck on whatever meds you decide to try and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Howdy Brainwaves!

Welcome back...

Recommendation of medications is fairly pointless.

Just because something works for one person does not mean that it will work for another person.

With medications it is trial and error until you find a drug or a combination of drugs that works for you!
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

Hi there,
    I haven't been on for a while myself, but my complex partials are now controlled by using the generic form of Topamax and Keppra. I used to have 1 seisure about every 4-5 weeks. I had used everything from Dilantin to Lamictal to Depakote to a half a dozen others. And of course combination of some of these. Then after seeing on here that some folks had good luck with Keppra, I talked with my nuero and we switch meds. I have been seizure free ever since. 3 3/4 years now! But, what works for some folks, does not work for another. Good luck.
    Gene

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Gene))))))

Welcome Back!

Congratulations on being seizure-free for 3 3/4 years! How wonderful for you! May it continue to be so!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.