Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertigo -- BPPV

Default Vertigo -- BPPV

So, I've had this happen before a few times, but this time it hit very severely. I got vertigo after my session of physical therapy. I had been feeling "off" all week, very fatigued. Even my daily walk was difficult. Granted, I'd had a very physical week starting on Sunday having to work 4 hours in our new, un-air conditioned office. It was very warm and uncomfortable. That was preceded and followed by a long hike to where I'd parked my car.

That night I didn't sleep well and the next day I felt really cranky and off. However, I went to bed early that night and slept very soundly. I felt better, but still not 100%. All week, I just dragged until Wednesday night when the vertigo started. I walked to my car like a drunk after my PT for my back problems.

That night was awful. Every time I turned over in bed it was bad. I slept fitfully. I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep even though I was so fatigued. So at 5am I sent an email to my boss saying I wasn't coming in. The entire day I spent either napping on the sofa or watching TV until I could see the doctor.

Fortunately I'd talked to my sister and she had told me about her bouts of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) so I googled that and read up. It sounded just like what I had.

No glutening that I was aware of, although I did have some popcorn and a candy bar on the weekend -- stuff I don't ordinarily eat. It was bagged, pre-popped corn... so it is possible it could've had something I am sensitive to.

Anyway, I just wanted to say if you have vertigo look into BPPV because it is curable. I went to physical therapy for it and they taught me a few things to help. My vertigo had already gotten better on its own, but I'm glad to have learned how to handle it on my own next time.

Over all, the really bad part lasted a day (phew!) but I still have a bit remaining. I think every other time I've had it I also started off feeling fatigued and nasty, so perhaps in the future I will remember the warning signs that it might be coming on again.

Anyone else experience BPPV?

Community Member

Nancy,

I dealt with this at the end of last year and at the beginning of this year. Fell and hit the L occipital region and knocked the calcium crystals loose and they migrated into one of the ear canals. Felt like I was drunk, and it was worse in the AM, and when I went to bed especially the L side. Went to ENT doc and they did the Epley Maneuver and then I had to sleep with head elevated and not sleep on the affected side. I did have the nystagmus when they tested me at his office. The doc told me that it would take
    approximately 6 -8 weeks before the crystals were glued back to where they needed to be, and it did take about that long.

There is an interesting CEU course coming up about Vestibular Rehabilitation and I am seriously considering going to it. I need more CEU's and this one really does interest me.

Glad that you are mostly over with it now. A very uncomfortable feeling.

Marilyn

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

I have been told I may have BPPV as I have bouts of vertigo with nystagmus. I am fine while standing. It only occurs when I lie down. I think this is food related. I know it happens if I get any yeast product. I now think it happens with cheese too - yup, that is a yeasty food too. Never had the Epley movements as it always disappeared after a few weeks.

Well, I don't know exactly what I had, but it went away after being rather severe for a day. UGH! This I don't need!

I am glad the vertigo went away Nancy. I have had bouts of varying degrees of vertigo and it is not pleasant. I once was told that this can happen more during changes of season. I am not sure why that would be but 2 of my past 3 bouts have been during the fall. I am just keeping active and hoping it does not start up again--ever.

--Judy

You probably all know this was among my symptoms when B12 deficient. I had several bouts of it to varying degrees over several months...the worst had me bedridden and crawling for days. I never had the manipulation done so don't know if it would have helped. Not sure of the mechanics that go wrong when precipated by B12 def. I'm glad the worst only lasted a day for you Nancy.

Now I am beginning to think my vertigo is also related to fabric softener - or I may simply be crazy.

The other day I rubbed my skin with a fabric softener sheet. I had read that this was a deterrent to mosquitoes. Within a short time I had a terrible headache and the next day I was dizzy. My SO uses a lot of softener and the sheets are always too fragrant. My vertigo occurs more at his home than at my home. I need to keep some records on this.
    Anne

I do not think you are crazy Anne. There is one detergent that I get a headache from pretty quickly (I think it is Arm and Hammer). Unfortunately one of my best friends uses it.

I learned that when I was having hand tremors that they increased when I was exposed to a lot of perfume.

--Judy

Community Member

Anne,

I do not think you are crazy. Fragrances can cause a lot of health issues. Because of dealing with allergies for almost all of my life, I do appreciate that people can have reactions to things that seem benign to others.

Marilyn

Thanks, feeling less crazy!
    Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast