Thread: How do I Ensure continued pain management in the hospital after surgery

Distinguished Community Member

Question How do I Ensure continued pain management in the hospital after surgery

Having read many horror stories about people on C/P being denied basic meds (their regular regiman) after surgery, Which in my case is a possibility, How do I ensure my regiman is maintained and then some for post op pain? My doc. is great but she is not great with paperwork. How do I ensure this? Thoughts?
    Hope everyone is doing well
    Blessings to all
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Alex, I can't say I have any magically answers but in my case it was the trust I had in my surgeon. Now saying that, I have to caution that surgeons think they have fixed the problem so once the recovery period is over many think there is no need for pain meds. I knew I could count on my surgeon to see I had adequate pain while in the hospital. Once you leave the hospital I think you have to count on your Pain Med provider to continue your medication following surgery.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

You either have to have a talk with your surgeon BEFORE the surgery.. and make sure there is a understanding of your tolerance for opiates and that you will need more than the average pt.. or.. have a very strong advocate look out for you after the surgery... You need a advocate that will not stand to be patronized about how your pain is being properly managed... Joint Commission made proper pain management a MAJOR STANDARD back in 2000 ...for getting accredited.. Your advocate must be willing to use the word TORTURE and/or SENIOR/PT ABUSE for failing to manage your pain.. If they get no where.. there should be a pt advocate in the hospital.. if you are on Medicaid.. there are a certain set of rights and another advocate for those pts..

You might want to research your rights and the appropriate advocates - names and phone numbers - before you have surgery.. so that your advocate can have them handy.. if they are needed..
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Dup. Post - Sorry
    Last edited by alex44; 07-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Thank You Pharmacist Steve. I am scared to death as I have enough stress right and I plan to have my S/O on board, she can be QUITE vocal - My dad was a hospital Admin. so you brought back a lot of good ways for me to keep up with it. I know JHACO put in place standards but I have heard they are not always followed. I also have plan b - as long as my S/o can get to me. I am scared, stressed, worried, I see the doc. tomorrow - hope all goes well.
    Thank you for the advice
    Bless you and yours - Hope all is well in your family
    Alex44
    Skypilot
    Last edited by alex44; 07-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Alex, I know it isn't easy to relax going into surgery but your attitude going in has a lot to do how well you do during recovery. The best plan may be to get all your questions answered soon so you can start to relax for the surgery coming up. I always had the attitude that once the decision was made it was out of my hand so relax and have some laughs - I watched funny movies and shows. I hope you get your answers soon and can focus on doing the best things for you heading into surgery.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life