Thread: Cause of gluten sensitivity found?

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Default Cause of gluten sensitivity found?

http://www.newser.com/story/170332/s...nsitivity.html
    Industrial farms have increasingly been using Adenosine Triphosphate Amylase, or ATI, to increase their yield, a trend that could explain the growth in gluten sensitivity. But the study's lead author cautioned that his study wasn't definitive.
    What do you think about this? From what I have been reading Round-up ready GMO's can cause problems in GI tract and that could also be a reason more people are having food sensitivities. http://www.fooddemocracynow.org/blog...mos_harm_pigs/

Another thought is that only a few of the hundreds/thousands of proteins in wheat have ever been explored. Only the ones that are specific to CD have been looked at.

Anne

I heard from Wheat Belly blog that wheat farmers spray their wheat fields with round-up a month or so prior to harvest because it increases the harvest. So anyone who eats wheat is eating a lot of herbicide.

Community Member

Really great link Anne. Very interesting reading. Thanks for posting.

Marilyn

My brother works for the state of CO - inspecting farms, greenhouses, fields, organic inspections, etc. I asked him about using roundup on wheat. He wasn't aware that it was being used in the area he works - which has a lot of wheat. [he travels all over CO].
    Al

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Apparently there are times when Round-up can be used in a wheat field http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...03/eb1803.html

I am sure the reason Monsanto would like a Round-up ready wheat is that they could then advocate the use of it anytime.
    Anne

Found it again:

I have been a wheat farmer for 50 yrs and one wheat production practice that is very common is applying the herbicide Roundup (glyposate) just prior to harvest. Roundup is licensed for preharvest weed control. Monsanto, the manufacturer of Roundup claims that application to plants at over 30% kernel moisture result in roundup uptake by the plant into the kernels. Farmers like this practice because Roundup kills the wheat plant allowing an earlier harvest.
    A wheat field often ripens unevenly, thus applying Roundup preharvest evens up the greener parts of the field with the more mature. The result is on the less mature areas Roundup is translocated into the kernels and eventually harvested as such.
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/0...n-wheat-belly/

Walt, you got it right, my farm is in Saskatchewan Canada, the ‘ wheat province”. We produce wheat and export around the world including the US. The practice of applying glyphosate preharvest is common in the spring wheat growing areas in western Canada and North Dakota. Perhaps preharvest application of glyphosate is not licenced in Kansas. As I understand the politics of Roundup Ready wheat registration, your National Assn ot Wheat Growers has endorsed the introduction of RR wheat in the US. Monsanto is ready to roll.
    Be sure to read the comments. Very interesting and include more links on the practice.

Then finally, do a search on "pre-harvest herbicide on wheat".
    Last edited by NancyM; 07-08-2013 at 08:12 AM.