Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First week of college complete

Blog Entries

Default First week of college complete

I thought I'd share my first week of college with y'all I'm going for an associates in Business Administration with a concentration in computer studies. Basically I'm going to school to learn how to work on and with computers Once I have my A.S. degree I'm hoping to get into a four college to get my B.A. in computer science.

I'm taking two classes for the summer semester, COMMS-100 (introduction to computers) and SpCOM 124 (career communications).

COMMS-100 is an online class, so far it's pretty easy We've had two quizzes and my score so far is 48/50 (I missed one question in each test). I like this whole online class thing :)

My speech comm class is a bit fun actually. We've been split up into groups to work on our semester project by drawing themes from a bowl. Somehow I wound up the only guy in a group of 6 Let's just say I can't complain about that Our theme was "entertainment" so we decided to build an "event co-ordinator" company. Basically we have to start a company from the ground up and have a 10 year business plan

The group of gals I'm with are awesome, we get along great and are a little ahead of the other groups :) My teacher is a hoot, she makes class exciting enough to want to come back, but not so much fun that we aren't learning.

So all in all I'm actually enjoying school ... something that anyone in my family thought they'd never hear me say
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Cool, way to go Mike! Our Nicholas did a few online university courses (well, pre-univ. courses actually). One of the courses he did was called Computers for Home and Business and another was The STudy of Sports Online. He did well and he's terrific at technology. Thank goodness for computers - they are the gateway to the world for him! He's got email, twitter, a blog and facebook. :) Good luck on your course, it sounds great in every way!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Much applause and congratulations ....... what big steps!!
    I sure wish I would/could do the same.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mike))))))

Fantastic!

Star student already, and the only man in a group with 5 women. I'd say your first week of college is off to a mighty good start!

A great teacher makes all of the difference in a student's learning experience. So glad you have a fun teacher for your Speech class (always among my favorite classes).

Keep us updated! I want to hear about your "event co-ordinator" company!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

That is great, Mike!

Have fun.

Mari :
    “The revolutionary act of treating ourselves tenderly can begin to undo the aversive messages of a lifetime.”
    ~ Tara Brach, “Radical Acceptance”

Blog Entries

Next week and the week after that is going to be very hectic for me. Next week is finals for my online class and the following week is when I have to give my presentation for my other class, and then finals after that

Our event coordinator business is pretty simple yet quite complex. The idea behind it is the simple part, the actual coordination of the event(s) is the hard part Basically if a business wants to throw a party but doesn't want the hassle of all the work that goes into making it happen, they would hire us. We would take care of everything from location (if needed), to post event clean up.

We aren't the run of the mill coordinators (who in my opinion try to do too much and wind up being sub-par as far as my standards go ) ... we specialize in winery / vineyard events bringing in concerts (local and / or big name), and artwork (various forms IE sculptures, photos, paintings, etc etc). Instead of doing all of the work ourselves we have a network of subcontractors that specialize in specific genres of music, art, and food that we use to put on a one of a kind event.

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

mike!

congratulations for deciding to take this big step!

sounds like you've had an interesting few weeks already . i have great faith you will do well in your finals!

we want a cap and gown avatar when you're finished with your associate's degree !

i wish you well as you start this new journey.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Blog Entries

So the presentation is tomorrow, doubt I'll get any sleep due to nerves. So I should be around more often starting late next week for about 3 weeks and then it's the start of the fall semester.

Step 1 - log in

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mike))))))

Good Luck! I'm sure your presentation will be fantastic!

Sending lots of positive energy your way!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Man I was stressing about nothing We scored a 296 out of 300 for our presentation. The instructor however doesn't have a record of me turning in an assignment, but I found it and it's graded so I'll bring it back to her tomorrow. If I include the missing assignment grade I scored a 1000 out of 1000 (thanks to a little extra credit) for the course

My online course (intro to computer systems ... easy peasy course ) will conclude next week. I only need 8 points on the final to get an A in that class

Step 1 - log in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast