Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSDI -- does anyone during the initial app. retain a lawyer?

Default SSDI -- does anyone during the initial app. retain a lawyer?

hi folks,

am in process of applying for ssdi --

it looks like everyone retains an attorney for appeal of a denial --

what about heading off the posse by having an atty. before a possible denial?

i'm in san francisco, game just beginning so i must say . . .

Go Giants!

agent107

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard of quite a few people who used a lawyer to guide them through the initial application process. I didn't and got approved without much of a wait--a few months, as I recall, but that was many years ago. On the other hand, a couple of years later SS did a review, and terminated me. It took 5 years to win my appeal, and that was with a lawyer.

You know about this organization--the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives?

http://www.nosscr.org/

They're the people I used to find a lawyer referral for my case. The lawyer took the case on a contingency basis, and I paid him 25% of the money I eventually received (the benefits I hadn't received over the 5 years).
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Distinguished Community Member

I got a referral from the state MS Society.

Good luck, Agent.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Hey Hunk, are you still zipping around on that stand up scooter?
    Nice to hear from you. I hope your SSDI comes swiftly for you.

OOPS, wrong hunk!!!!
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 06-18-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

gosh agate,

that's a nail-biting tale . . . . at least you have the cash now -- i'll have to assume that they're way too overwhelmed to mess with a minor player like me . . . .on what ground did they terminate you? chilling.

but will they mess with the agent? will certainly keep you posted!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and ann -- thanks for the thoughts -- have conjured up some tips -- including some from the MS Society --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SalpalSally
    Hey Hunk, are you still zipping around on that stand up scooter?
    Nice to hear from you. I hope your SSDI comes swiftly for you

Sally,

if the message above from you is directed to me (agent) -- you must be confusing me with someone else -- i've never used any type of stand-up scooter -- but thanks for your good wishes!

-------------------------------------------------------------

i am so thankful to all of you for caring and sharing, it means a great deal to me -- i hope to convey good news soon --

still sleuthing after all these years,
    agent107

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Not me.
    I was in a wheelchair pronto.
    When I wrote that at least 60% of my work was done on my feet SS made an appointment to do a visual.
    Yes indeed... I was in a wheelchair and the docs didn't know when or if I'd jog again so that was that.

Had my butt not been so obviously kicked I would have first gone to some advocacy group or society
    to get the skinny on what SS needs to read and how to write it.
    Last edited by renee; 06-17-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: MS

Blog Entries

I didn't mean to scare you. This was back in 1982-87, and at the time there was quite a lot of bad publicity about the number of disabled people being cut off SSDI benefits. I believe Social Security has tried to clean up its act since then.

I mentioned it only as an example of someone who probably should have gone to a lawyer at the start. Maybe the case hadn't been established well enough to suit the Social Security review people, and in the meantime I'd moved to another state and had all new doctors. That didn't help either.

at least you have the cash now
    No. The money went to pay the lawyer and the debts I had had to incur while living on welfare during those 5 years. Sometimes Social Security was ordered to pay provisional benefits during that time, but there were several years when they didn't pay, and then I was on welfare.

Good luck to you! You do need to understand that Social Security requires you to be disabled for ALL gainful employment, not just the occupation you've been trained for. For instance, just being in a wheelchair wouldn't necessarily mean you're able to receive SSDI benefits.

In fact, I've been at Social Security offices and noticed employees zipping around in their wheelchairs.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Oops sorry Agent, MS moment....But the good wishes stand!!!
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 06-18-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

oh, yes, morning in america -- what do you think brought the ssa to review you? i would like to think that i'm of no interest to them -- the wording is so critical -- the ALL gainful employment -- in their own words:

---------------------------------------------------------

"Q. Can you do any other type of work?

If you cannot do the work you did in the past, we see if you are able to adjust to other work.

We consider your medical conditions and your age, education, past work experience and any transferable skills you may have. If you cannot adjust to other work, your claim will be approved. If you can adjust to other work, your claim will be denied."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

my hands are lousy, so please excuse the stilted phrases and typos extraordinaire (the loss of those fine so very fine motor skills . . . ) -- since i'm so keyboard averse i'm often late in replying (keyboard dread . . )

but let's get to the important matters at hand, giants are only six outs away from winning

Blog Entries

The fatiguability that many people with MS have is often a big issue, I think. It's hard to prove but on the other hand it's often a reason why people with MS can't do a day's work. We're fine for an hour or so, then not so fine, and maybe after 3 or 4 hours we're useless.

And to complicate matters further, some are useless after an even shorter time, and some can do pretty well on some days or at some times of day and not at all well on others.

What you need is a competent neuro firmly in your corner, probably.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast