Thread: Visual symptoms undiagnosed

Default Visual symptoms undiagnosed

I am 28, new to this community, in a hope of getting some advice on the visual symptoms I have which, according to me, are either not being taken seriously by the doctors or are being misdiagnosed. These symptoms have been there since one month.

I have a visual episode of any one of the following:
    1. A small multicolored spot or circular shape.
    2. An unformed white shape.
    3. About 4-5 joined circular images which are multicolored.

These episodes have the following features:
    1. They last for maximum 2 minutes. Never been more than that.
    2. They flash, like switching on and off.
    3. They are always at one location, a little to the left of the center of vision.
    4. I see them with eyes closed and they move when my eyes move.
    5. They are there almost daily, and about 2-8 times!

I had an EEG recently which was normal. Four months ago I had MRI & EEG because that time I used to see zigzag lines in vision for 15-30 minutes. They were normal and I was diagnosed as having ocular migraine. However, I didn't take any medicines and the problem went away by itself. These zigzag lines were very different from the episodes I experience now. Some net search tells me that what I experience now is not migraine. I don't know if I should be worried or just let it be....

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I am not a doctor but this sounds kind of like what one of my friends has. She has Stargardt's disease which is also known as Juvenile Macular Degeneration. In her case she saw a multicolored rainbow like floater in the center of both her eyes and it began to get bigger so her mom took her to the doctor. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong at first because it is a rare condition. They finally diagnosed her and told her after a few months the blind spot would stop growing but be there forever since there is no cure. She's considered legally blind now but sees well when she shifts her eye to see from her side vision. This may be something for you to look into even though my friend has slightly different symptoms( i.e she saw the floaters when she had her eyes open etc). The condition is different from person to person apparently.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 06-13-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Hi I'm new to this so not sure how to start a discussion, I am looking for info regarding infantile spasms

Welcome to BrainTalk, memaw!

I think the forum you should try first is "Child Neurology". The forum is located under the Neurological Disorders and Injury section, the 3rd block of forums on the "Forums" page. Click the "FORUMS" tab at the top of the page.

Once you click on the forum name, you will be in the forum threads page. In the upper left hand corner of each forum threads page is a "+POST NEW THREAD" sign and once you click on that, you will get a blank page where you can post a title and post your questions. Remember to click on "POST REPLY" in the lower right hand corner, under your post box (just like you did to post your post above ).

I do hope this is helpful and you are still reading in this forum.
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 06-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.