Thread: Google etifoxine . Interesting reading.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Google etifoxine . Interesting reading.

My sister sent me an article and I found it hopeful. Some antidepressants have multiple uses.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if this could be the abstract of the article you're talking about--?

From PubMed:

EMBO Mol Med. 2013 May 17. doi: 10.1002/emmm.201202124. [Epub ahead of print]A TSPO ligand is protective in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis.

Daugherty DJ, Selvaraj V, Chechneva OV, Liu XB, Pleasure DE, Deng W.
    Source

Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA, USA.

Abstract

Local production of neurosteroids such as progesterone and allopregnanolone confers neuroprotection in central nervous system (CNS) inflammatory diseases. The mitochondrial translocator protein (TSPO) performs a rate-limiting step in the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone and its steroid derivatives. Previous studies have shown that TSPO is upregulated in microglia and astroglia during neural inflammation, and radiolabelled TSPO ligands such as PK11195 have been used to image and localize injury in the CNS. Recent studies have shown that modulating TSPO activity with pharmacological ligands such as etifoxine can initiate the production of neurosteroids locally in the injured CNS. In this study, we examined the effects of etifoxine, a clinically available anxiolytic drug, in the development and progression of mouse experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), an experimental model for multiple sclerosis (MS). Our results showed that etifoxine attenuated EAE severity when administered before the development of clinical signs and also improved symptomatic recovery when administered at the peak of the disease. In both cases, recovery was correlated with diminished inflammatory pathology in the lumbar spinal cord. Modulation of TSPO activity by etifoxine led to less peripheral immune cell infiltration of the spinal cord, and increased oligodendroglial regeneration after inflammatory demyelination in EAE. Our results suggest that a TSPO ligand, e.g. etifoxine, could be a potential new therapeutic option for MS with benefits that could be comparable to the administration of systemic steroids but potentially avoiding the detrimental side effects of long-term direct use of steroids.
    [Emphasis added.]

Thanks for calling attention to this!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Default That's it!

Thanks Agate
    My sister had sent me the information but I was too busy with farm work to find a useable link.

It is interesting.

My neurologist showed up at the farmers' market today with a large iced tea for me. How lucky am I? SSusan helps me at market and it was in the nineties today. It was tough but all worked out ok....
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

EAE is back, si?
    At 4 a.m. i don't get it but I believe you.
    That article has a couple of good potential band names- TSPO, Steroid Derivatives, Peak Of The Disease.

You have a good neuro, Lazurus.

Blog Entries

A neurologist bearing iced tea--maybe World MS Day makes this kind of thing happen?

I can't imagine even showing up at a farmer's market when it's in the 90s, let alone taking part in one.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

3 Cheers for Laz es Neuro...hip hip hurah!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Default My neuro has actually done that before--on in previous years on very hot Saturdays

I actually felt cold during most of the market....I only felt Ill at the end (8hours). That has been a new wrinkle for me. Feeling cold all the time.
    Linda~~~~

Blog Entries

Interesting that you mention that, Linda. I've been feeling cold more and more and it really bothers me though not in the same way heat does.