Thread: Is this possibly a seizure my 3 yr old is having?

Default Is this possibly a seizure my 3 yr old is having?

Long story short there is no epilepsy in my family, my brother has a condition that causes them if his calcium etc levels get too low but other than that there hasn't been any solid conditions diagnosed. My 9 yr old had petit mals when he was 18 mths and it resolved itself for no reason. My three yr old has always, as all my others, twitched since they were babies but what happened last night scared me to death. His bed has a side slated board to keep him from falling off. He generally hits it at least several times a night. I even padded it to keep him from hurting himself. I heard him hit it hard then heard the board rattling. I got up saying what in the world are you doing? When I put my hand on him I could feel what I thought was hard shivering. First thought was he was cold so I pulled the covers up and my hand brushed his arm. His muscles were rhythmically twitching. I ran to my bathroom to hit the light so I could see him. He was fast sleeping, not twitching/shivering as he was but still a little twitch not so rhythmic. For reference he is suspected of having autism, he has major sensory issues, speech delay.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Welcome jdoxakis, I don't know much about seizures. Would definitely run it by the doc. Give a call to your doc office and see if they think it may be cause enough to be seen. Good luck, let us know how it goes and I hope you stick around

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi,

The way you describe feeling rhythmic jerking, I would be really concerned about seizures. Definintely check with his pediatrician, I would guess they would set up an EEG test. That is what they did when I reported my youngest having 2 episodes of weird jerking. (he is 5 now and fine...those episodes happened after vaccination). My daughter has seizures so I know what I saw though even though they did try to make me feel it was nothing.

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi, I'm sorry this happened - you must be worried! I would definitely suspect a seizure from what you describe. Do you happen to have a Mac laptop? If so, you can set it with the camera pointing at your son's bed. Leave a light on in his room and activate I-Movie. We used that to capture my son's seizures and it worked really well. It can take a lot of hours of film then you can scroll through quickly to look for movements, keep those bits and show them to the doctor. Good luck!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Thomson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi, I'm sorry this happened - you must be worried! I would definitely suspect a seizure from what you describe. Do you happen to have a Mac laptop? If so, you can set it with the camera pointing at your son's bed. Leave a light on in his room and activate I-Movie. We used that to capture my son's seizures and it worked really well. It can take a lot of hours of film then you can scroll through quickly to look for movements, keep those bits and show them to the doctor. Good luck!
    The Imovie idea is a really great idea.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Jdoxakis))))))

Welcome to Brain Talk and Child Neuro (or CN/CN2 as we fondly refer to our home here).

Seizures can manifest in a variety of ways, and what you describe does sound similar to seizure activity. It is definitely worth investigating with your son's pediatrician, and neurologist, if you have a neuro for him.

Donna does have a great idea with the I-Movie. If you don't have a Mac laptop or that capability with your computer, then you might keep your camcorder or your cell phone near or in his room at night, so if he has another episode, you can video it.

Sleep is a prime time for some seizures. If your son only has these episodes during sleep, he might need to have a sleep study or a 24 hour EEG.

Is your son taking any medications? If so, check the side effects to see whether seizures or limb movements are listed.

I pray that your son isn't having seizures. But, it's best to have him checked out, to rule in or rule out that possibility.

Please keep us posted, and feel free to join in our conversations!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.