Thread: Future Planning When Capacity is an Issue: A New Blog about A Great New Idea!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Future Planning When Capacity is an Issue: A New Blog about A Great New Idea!

http://www.donnathomson.com/2013/05/...-is-issue.html

Sending a big hug on this beautiful spring evening to all my friends here at CN2 xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

I haven't read the entire Representation Act, however, I did notice this in Part 2:

Adult may make representation agreement unless incapable
    4. An adult may make a representation agreement unless he or she is incapable of doing so.

How does this Act assist individuals, like my sons, who are incapable of making an agreement? How is it determined whether an Alzheimer's patient, or a stroke patient, is capable of entering into this agreement?

Would you and your husband make this kind of agreement now with each other or with Natalie, for example, to future plan in the event that you might become incapacitated someday? I think about this with our situation, in that Jim and I know each other's desires, but we haven't obtained a legal document stating that we give each other authority to speak/decide on our behalf. We're seniors, and those are things to consider.

And frankly, we suck at future planning. We're too caught up in getting through the next 24 hours. Or even the next hour.

At least Jim has Medicare now. That's one thing to cross off of our "future planning" list.

So, as I peruse this Act, I cannot see the benefit to individuals, who are incapable of understanding and committing to an agreement. Am I missing something?

I am thrilled to see any legislation, which refers to "personhood." First, we are all persons. We may be persons, who have a disabling condition. We may be a person, who is a senior citizen. But we are people first and always.

Thanks again for this interesting and vital topic, Donna. Hoping Nick's seizures are subsiding. Prayers continuing.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Blog Entries

Hi Rose! There are different levels of representation agreements for different situations but here is the info for our kids:
    Representation Agreements are designed to be used by all adults: those who may need help today and those who want to plan for the future. To make a Representation Agreement you must be an adult, 19 years of age or older.
    The Representation Agreement Act says that an adult may make a Representation Agreement with Section 7 standard powers even if they cannot manage their own affairs or make decisions independently. There is no specific capability requirement in order to make this type of Agreement. The Act recognizes that capability involves many factors because each person and situation is different. For details see the fact sheet on Section 7 Standard Powers.
    To make an Agreement with Section 9 broader powers, you must meet a specific capability requirement. You must understand the types of decisions covered by the broader powers and the possible effects of giving these powers to your representative. For more details see the fact sheet on Section 9 Broader Powers.
    British Columbia is the only place I know of where this type of legal decision-making framework exists as an alternative to adult guardianship.
    Nick had 7 seizures last night, not sure why so many, we've just upped the keppra. Hopefully tonight will be a better night! I'm at our cottage in the mountains today, it's beautiful, sunny, but the bugs are biting at this time of year, so I hope the breeze picks up. I'll go see Nick this afternoon :) I hope it's a good day in your house! xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Thank you for directing me to the appropriate sections of the Act to answer my questions. I will do that when I have more time and brain power.

I'm so sorry that Nicholas has had seizures. Perhaps he is adjusting to the Keppra, as B did, with the dosage increases, and that increase is triggering seizures until the brain acclimates to the change. I don't know. Just tossing it out there. B seems to be doing better now, but for awhile he was in status, and I feel as does his mom that it was Keppra-related, as this is a listed side effect. I know Nick needed to go off of Depakote. It's like a rock shaking hands with a hard place. I know. Prayers continuing.

Bugs! Ugh! 'Tis Spring and Nature is in Full Force! Wrap yourself in mosquito netting!

I think Avon has a product, which deters bugs.

I haven't purchased anything from Burt's Bees for a long time, but I used to order from them and they have good stuff. Good insect repellents with natural ingredients:

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/outdoor/

Praying for Nick's seizures to subside ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Rose! The Avon product is called Skin So Soft - it works great. And yes, we have beeswax and citronella candles on the balcony, they are really good bug repellents. I love Burts Bees skin products - their hand salve is fantastic, especially after I've been planting in the garden. Their lip balm is great too. I haven't had a chance yet to check on how Nick did overnight last night. But I'm going to go ask now. Jim went to see him today and hear all about the hockey. Nick's team, the Ottawa Senators, won in overtime last night against Pittsburgh - he is over the moon! They're in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs :) oxDonna

Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

YAY! OTTAWA SENATORS!

I hope they go all the way and win the cup for Nick!

(Full disclosure: I don't follow hockey. Don't know anything about it. But I'm rooting for the Senators!)

Hope the seizures are subsiding. Continuing prayers ~

Love & Light,

Rose