Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tremors

My tremors are 80% improved. I have been working with 2 different doctors on this (after my primary care doctor dismissed me to a neurologist). They have different opinions but the common factor seems to be toxicity. I have noticed that when I am around certain chemicals (which I always try to avoid) my tremors resurface. I have found perfume to definitely be a trigger. I have added some supplements to help with detox.

My blood sugar is still higher than I would like (lowest fasting is 106). I have not had any processed carbs or grains in months. My diet is mostly vegetables and meat with a small amount of fruit on occasion. One of my alternative doctors thinks all my symptoms are related. He has given me a homeopathic remedy. I started chromium piccolinate a few weeks ago and have recently added gymnema. The good news is I am feeling so much better than when this all started!

--Judy

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Glad to hear you are doing better. I don't do processed carbs either. To keep my BG under control I have to limit my carbs to 30-50/day. Are you eating enough of the good fats? I use coconut oil for cooking, olive oil on my salads, eat avocados and much of my meat is grass fed. I am still trying to figure out if butter is ok or not.
    Anne

How much protein are you eating? I find my fasting blood glucose goes up the more protein I eat. Around 60-70g my blood sugar is 20-30 points lower than it is at 90+ grams.

I should mention it is a chore to keep carbs low, protein moderate, and fat high especially when you don't eat dairy products. I ate lots and lots of avocados and pate. :)

Definitely need to raise fat intake if carb intake is reduced.
    Anne

Well I have been great about following a gluten, dairy, egg, soy, legume free diet for years. The reason is I get neurologic symptoms from these foods so I am not tempted to eat them. Now I have removed refined carbohydrates and most grains. I have not started to do a carb and protein count. I basically eat celery with almond butter and maybe some bacon for breakfast. A salad with tomatoes, avocado, chicken, slivered almonds and olive oil and balsamic vinegar for lunch. Snacks are mostly nuts or maybe almond butter on celery or carrots. Dinner is meat with vegetables.

The other day I went out for lunch with a friend. We had sushi--I forgot about the white rice (oops). I also had pickled ginger, kimchi, and radish salad. Anyway I felt foggy headed and tired after eating. I checked my blood sugar and at 1 hour after eating it was 178, at 1.5 hours it was 192. So I clearly am having some sort of problem with glucose control--or does everyones blood sugar respond this way and they just don't know it? This was after taking gymnema for a couple of weeks. I am now switching to a bitter melon supplement to see if that helps.

I also sent my pcp a request to run the HbA1c test.

--Judy

Community Member

Judy, It certainly sounds like you are very carb sensitive, ie the white rice. I would think that your BS would be lower at 1.5 hours vs. 1 hour. Wondering if your insulin is kicking in. There is a phase 1 insulin and a phase 2 insulin, but I do not know
    the time frames for release of the insulin.

I am glad that you are going to ask for a Hbg A1c. Another good test is an OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) WITH insulin levels. This is a 3 hour test. You are given a 75 gram dose of a sugary drink after they have done a fasting BS and insulin level,
    and then blood is drawn at 1 hour and 2 hours and at 3 hour. After that you are free to go. You have to stay in the area while undergoing this test so it is a good idea to bring a book with you to read while you are there and a good idea to have something to eat immediately after the test is finished.

I have had this test done 2x, 5 years apart, and both times, my insulin overreacts and really drops the blood sugars for me. My #3 hour tests were blood sugar of 37 and blood sugar of 35 (should have been 60). Why my body does this, I am not sure.
    I have also read that this is not a good test because most of us do not have just carbs without any other food type, ie. fat or protein.

Just tossing this out as another option.

After bottoming out x 2, I was told, not to do the test again.

Marilyn

I believe that many people have high blood sugar spikes and just don't know it. These spikes can be very damaging. For years my docs told me not to worry about my OGGT spiking around 200 because my fasting level was in the 80's. Turns out postprandial blood sugar becomes abnormal about 10 years before fasting levels do. I think everyone should buy a glucometer once a year. It usually comes with 10 strips and that is enough to do some self checks. Better yet, give up the high carb diet.

A good read is Blood Sugar 101. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Hope you are feeling better Judy. Also watch out for imitation crab in some sushi as it often contains wheat. Is there imitation fish too?
    Anne

Anne, Do you think that a new meter is necessary every year? My meter is older and was not used for a while. I got new test strips and tested it with a control solution before using it this year. I have recently started to read about how some of the meters are not so reliable--stating a reading off by 30 is not that big a deal. Well my readings have consistently been high and it would be a big deal to me if it was because the meter is not reliable. Tomorrow I will check my Fasting blood sugar level before having my blood drawn for a basic metabolic panel and Hb A1c. It will be interesting to see what the results are.

I am aware of the imitation crab containing gluten and stay away from it. But thanks for the warning. I mostly stick to veggie rolls but occasionally have salmon and avocado rolls. I only go out for sushi a few times a year but I guess I will be avoiding it for a while.

--Judy

I don't think it is necessary to get a new meter ever year, but I do think it is wise to take your meter if you get a blood draw for glucose and check your reading against the blood draw. The last 2 times I did that my meter was only 2 points off my lab test. Yes, meters are often not very accurate. Dr. Richard Bernstein has said that currently the most reliable meter is Freestyle Freedom. I am using the Freestyle Lite.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123