Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joy Laid an Egg!

Default Joy Laid an Egg!

My little cockatiel, Joy, has started laying eggs. She is 15 years old, and as far as I know, this is the first time for her. I've only had her since she was 11, as I got her from her previous owner.

I found her first egg Monday morning, the second one this morning. The eggs are infertile, tho' she does share a cage with a very nice male companion, 16 year old Rascal (and yes, he is a rascal!). So, I'll not be a Grandma.....

Distinguished Community Member

goodu goody, this is exciting. Kewep us posted. I imagine she will act real careful with those eggs. Fertile or not, she will be very proud of her eggs I imagine.

well you sure got my attention! of course I wondered how our Joy could have possibly laid an egg!hahah

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

fig ,

how exciting! your thread line about joy laying an egg caught my eye, also !

do cockatiels talk or whistle...i thought i read where they are very vocal?

do tell us about their shenanigans...

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Cockatiels are quite capable of talking. Only the males whistle and sing. They are sweet little birds, very sociable and playful.

So far Joy has laid 3 eggs, yesterday she laid her egg in her water dish!!

I just love watching our wild birds here, the red birds and bluebirds. I can't imagine how neat it must be to actually get to hold and pet you own pet birds. She is a busy bird with her egg laying. keep us informed marion.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

How cool! I would love to have a bird. I see the beautiful, sweet, friendly parrots at the pet store and feel so bad for them. They come right up to ya for attention. THey are terribly expensive.

Have thought about a pair of canaries or a few finches for their sweet sounds. I think I have my hands full with two spoiled dogs lol.

Yeah I had to stop and see what was up with Joy's egg lol.

Default hi Marion

I just wanted to know if anything happened with those eggs your bird laid? and have you gotten any more pets or birds lately? I am still missing having a pet pretty bad. I do have 2 betta fish but they are beautiful but leave me wanting something to pet, hold or whatever. with fish it is mostly all about keeping their water clean and safe. they are beautiful to look at tho.

the english mastiff is so big now it is unreal. and granddaughter has a kitten at other grandparents place. a pretty gray with long hair. I can't wait to see it myself.
    take care

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

now I'm just pretending to do a happy dance, but Marion I think you got us all excited.

She just might surprise you and hatch a wee birdie or 2. I hope so.

I discovered a bird nest on top of the porch colum (?) I can watch it while I sit in my lounge chair. I'm so afraid it is going to fall off the side of it, but it has added a room lol I wish I knew what kind of bird it is. It's rather small and it's breast is red-ish or light orange. It doesn't appear afraid of people coming and going.

Of course I can't get out and stand in a chair to see if it has laid any eggs. They have been very quiet the last few days. if I can get someone get a picture of it and I'll send it and see if you all can tell me what kind of bird it is.

Thanks for the chuckle, Marion.

my love to all, Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Joy continued laying eggs throughout March and April, and into May. She laid her last egg on May 18th. All of these she pretty much ignored.

Then, she laid an egg on June 11th, and has been diligently sitting on it! She looks so sweet and cute...so serious!! I doubt the egg is fertile, but doing her "motherly duty" is making her happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast