Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acceptance of epilepsy

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

My 1st seizure (or 1st that made ppl think something was wrong) was in 6th grade. It wasn't a GM though. I told my teacher to say hello to me, but not use my nick name. ----------- A liitle later was arithmatic class, we were learning math & of course I still 'felt weird' & missed what was going on. I didn't get it & am still bad at math.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Headspin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I grew up with epilepsy. It is hard when your classmates watch you have a grand mal in class. It becomes harder when the teacher is totally uneducated, and picks you up during the seizure, and throws you into the hallway for not answering him. If that were today, it would be a huge lawsuit, back then, what could I do? That really affected how I grew, and thought of myself. I will admit; it still affects me today.
    Hi Headspin,
    I can relate to what you are saying. The first time I had a absence (petit mal) sz. I was in 6th grade and my teacher freaked out. Within time they kicked me out of school stating I was disrupting classes because I was having sz. after sz. (as if it were all my fault).
    I feel the same way you do if that had happened today I would have taken legal action on the school. I have been working in public school as a teacher aide for almost 25 yrs. now and I still see the schools pushing students out the door do to epilepsy and I've really
    raised he** with the school and they got busted by a lawyer from my local epilepsy foundation for pushing students our of school and also trying to push me out the door since I had a sz. at work. Since that time the school has left students and myself alone. People
    need to wake up and realize they are going overboard with epilepsy. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Porkette View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Headspin,
    I can relate to what you are saying. The first time I had a absence (petit mal) sz. I was in 6th grade and my teacher freaked out. Within time they kicked me out of school stating I was disrupting classes because I was having sz. after sz. (as if it were all my fault).
    I feel the same way you do if that had happened today I would have taken legal action on the school. I have been working in public school as a teacher aide for almost 25 yrs. now and I still see the schools pushing students out the door do to epilepsy and I've really
    raised he** with the school and they got busted by a lawyer from my local epilepsy foundation for pushing students our of school and also trying to push me out the door since I had a sz. at work. Since that time the school has left students and myself alone. People
    need to wake up and realize they are going overboard with epilepsy. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
    Thank you, Sue. This was actually 6th grade for me to. It was a teacher that had his favorites, and I was not on his list to start with. I recently found him on Facebook, and have been thinking about bringing this up to him. After I had that seizure, I was a cast away for the rest of my Junior High years. My grades dropped, my parents blamed me for having epilepsy, so they would not help me with any of it. I was alone. I'm on SSDI right now, because of severe depression. I find it hard to find anyone who is supportive, even my family.
    Craig Sheffield - Epilepsy, Chronic Pain (Shoulder, Back, Joint Hyper-mobility, Chronic Migraine), Limited Mobility, Asthma, Severe Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, Coma Survivor (2 week followed by full body paralysis. 2 months of PT and OT to walk again.)

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Sue & Headspin, That's terrible & makes my head spin (nice name :)) and I hate that. My 'best friend' (in 6th grade) stopped talking to me....most ppl did. They stopped picking me to be on their volley ball team, in phys-ed. However later that teacher gace me a hug & asked 'is everything alright?'
    >:-(
    Lorraine (lor)

Hi Lor,

Public schools and some employers can be really rotten to people with epilepsy and cut them down like crazy. I got 2 teachers fired after one teacher told me "Sue you should find another job this job is to stressful for you."
    The second teacher was my supervisor and I didn't know it until I had gone through my personnel records that she wrote me up for taking to much time off from work ( 3 wks.) after having my first brain surgery and there was
    a Drs. note stating I was to take 3 wks. off from work after the surgery. She got nailed and lost her job also. Since that time I've made it a point to have epilepsy workshops for staff and students so they can understand epilepsy
    and how people who have epilepsy are normal everyday people just like others in this world. Here's wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Great Sue! You mean if it was for back surgery (or something) it would be OK to her but not brain surgery? She deserves what she got. Or was she just looking for some reason to get rid of you?
    Lorraine (lor)

Hi Lor,

The school that I work at also fires people who have had back surgery. My husband worked in the school and was injured on the job and had to have back surgery and when he was ready to come back to work the school refused to
    let him come back to his job because he was restricted from lifting a lot of weight. Take my word the school doesn't like me or any of my family that has worked in the school because we have busted them for wasting taxpayers money
    and pulling illegal things that's the main reason why the school doesn't like me or any of my family that's worked there in the past. My family has been working in the school since 1961 and I'm the only family member left out of 7 of us
    that were working in the school everyone else has retired. Right now the school is trying to push a student out the door that's autistic but I'm standing up for that student and the students family. Here's wishing you well and May God
    Bless You!

Sue

Bless you for helping that boy.
    Lorraine (lor)

David, At first you wrote "people who have autism are autistic", yes. They are not "autistics", just like a person with epilepsy is not "AN epileptic" .Out of curiosity I looked up "epileptic", it say,s...of or having to do with epilepsy. It doesn't say "a person with epilepsy"
    Lorraine (lor)

Default Acceptance is the key to unlock many locked doors in your life!

Sounds so darn easy but for my tangled scarred brain, I still need to get down on my knees and pray!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast