Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acceptance of epilepsy

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Sue, I feel the same way. Also, I apparently have less sz's than some of you.
    Lorraine (lor)

I just had a tonic clonic on tuesday.

But what the heck, life goes on...

I don't know exactly how many years have gone by since I got past that stage, but I remember how depressed I was before I did.

Now, the worst times for me are only when I'm post-ictal, then I have a nasty headache.
    Firehorse

Quote Originally Posted by Porkette View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was sometime hard to deal with depression that comes along with epilepsy but I took a look around me and I found other people who had things a lot worse in life than I ever did with my seizures. I had an Aunt who had MS and couldn't walk and was in a wheelchair having to depend on others. I've dealt with students in school who are down syndrome, come from broken homes and have severe emotional and some with mental disabilites and all of this woke me up and made me realize how lucky I am. So what if I blank out for a few seconds and feel a little tired all of that goes away after awhile and I feel fine. This is what has kept me going over the yrs. with epilepsy.
    Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
    I had a hard time when my seizures returned, but then I thought about my brother and his friends. My brother got caught in the birth canal, and the doctor grabbed forceps to pull him out, rather than doing a c-section. This caused a cerebral hemorrhage, he has cerebral palsy, mental disabilities, and needs 24 hr. care. I grew up helping my parents care for him, and started volunteering at his summer recreation in high school. I always enjoyed working with him and his friends. Anytime they need to talk, they know I'm there to listen. Knowing that there are a lot of people with disabilities worse than epilepsy, and working with them, helped me to stop worrying about having seizures.

As soon as I found out about surgery and testing, I was willing to give it a try. Since surgery, I hardly ever have a seizure anymore. When I do have one, I don't have migraines anymore. I've only had a bit of trouble with memory, after 2 seizures over the last 9 yrs. I usually feel fine not long after having one.
    Last edited by Michelle83; 09-02-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

Michelle, Soon as I saw your part telling that the Dr used forceps I got a 'Oh My God' look on my face. (Are those still being used?)

I went into an ice cream place last night & thought I saw blinking lights. It was ceiling lights constantly being blacked out cuz the ceiling fans were beneath them blacking out the light real quick then 'back on'. Whenever I see stuff like that I want to tell them. (I learned about it here). I told my DH & he wonders how anybody effected by blinking lights, can "live".
    Lorraine (lor)

Next time you are real down because you just had a seizure, remember this:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...t=0&FORM=LKVR6
    Lorraine (lor)

I forgot how to delete or I would delete that last one. Sorry
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next time you are real down because you just had a seizure, remember this:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...t=0&FORM=LKVR6
    Hi Lor,
    I am a music lover and I also like to write I think the song that you picked out was great when people have a hard time in life. I just think about others out there who have life a lot more worse and I
    also think about my family and friends who are over in the Middle East serving our country and all that they are going through each and every day. Thanks for sharing this song. I wish you the best of
    luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

My grandfather had a favorite proverb:

I grumbled because I had no shoes...
    And then I met a man who had no feet.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

The Minnesota Gophers Coach (football) had a seizure on the field. It was the third known seizure he has had. Thankfully one of the local broadcast stations put a plug in about Epilepsy and even had the local EFA chair on the news!! I hope this event, as unfortunate as it was, will help educate those who don't know about Epilepsy and what to do if a seizure occure.

--Travis

I grew up with epilepsy. It is hard when your classmates watch you have a grand mal in class. It becomes harder when the teacher is totally uneducated, and picks you up during the seizure, and throws you into the hallway for not answering him. If that were today, it would be a huge lawsuit, back then, what could I do? That really affected how I grew, and thought of myself. I will admit; it still affects me today.
    Craig Sheffield - Epilepsy, Chronic Pain (Shoulder, Back, Joint Hyper-mobility, Chronic Migraine), Limited Mobility, Asthma, Severe Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, Coma Survivor (2 week followed by full body paralysis. 2 months of PT and OT to walk again.)

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast