Thread: Keppra doses

Community Member

Question Keppra doses

I have been on Keppra for a while now. Back 6 years or more I was always seeing my levels in the low to mid 40's; even as high as 63 once without toxicity. However then I was only on 3000mg/day.

Now, my dose was just ramped up from 4000/day to 5000 (2000am; 3000pm) along with pregabalin (Lyrica) and Vimpat (lacosamide). My last Keppra levels I thought were low(er) that I usually held...anyway here's my question:

Have any of you been on a high dose of Levetiracetam (Keppra) or even higher doses without problems?

I'm not terribly nervous, just cautious with this high of a dose.

Distinguished Community Member

Travis,
    Yes, I have taken 4000 mg of Keppra (brand for levetiracetam) a day. I was somewhat more jumpy and prone to overreactions. But it was tolerable. I now need to take the brand, because it controls my seizures and because of a reaction to generics, but at a much lower dosage.

Linnie

Community Member

It's been almost a week, and no problems. So that is a good sign for me. I may end up waiting until after I arrive at my destination to reduce the Lyrica. I need to call in on those instructions tomorrow. I don't need any problems before, or in flight.

--Travis

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Travis,
    I took keppra but my dosage was not that high. I found the drug caused me to have more sz. and I also didn't like how it gave me a hot temper so I didn't stay on the drug that long. I have taken lyrica and that wasn't
    stong enough for me but I later went on vimpat and that has done wonders for me reduces my sz. especially my complex partial sz. You should check with your pharmacist to see if your other AED's aren't lowering your
    keppra level I know I had this problem with some of the drugs I've taken in the past one drug would lower the drug level of another AED I was taking. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Community Member

Found out there will be NO adjustments in my medications. I guess it's wait until spring when I see him again to see if anything happens.

--Travis

Community Member

Default Keppra

Hi there,
    Keppra has been my "wonder" drug. I am taking the generic form at 2000mg a day along with the generic form of Topamax and I have been seizure free for almost 3 years now. I had taken just about every other AED until I suggested to my Doc about trying Keppra. Bingo! Not a seizure since! I hope you get your level squared away.
    Gene

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

I take 2500 mg of generic Keppra (Levetiracetam) per day.

Levetiracetam, Oxcarbazepine, a Vagus Nerve Stimulator and a CPAP machine have done wonders for me!
    Last edited by howdydave; 01-18-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com