Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Obedience

Community Member

I asked my sign language teacher, who is Baptist, about Catholic services for the Deaf. There are several parishes in Los Angeles for the Deaf. Closest one to us is Holy Angels in Vernon. While looking at that I found that there is a national Catholic organization for Deaf services. Bet anything that sign for theology is different from sign for every day life.

I know three different ways to sign Jesus and I am not even Christian.

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Howdy Annie!

Very much so.

Not only that...
    Specific signs for specific concepts must come out of the deaf community itself rather than having the hearing community impose signs on the deaf.

If it doesn't come out of the deaf community, it will not be readily accepted.

Sorta' like having a German committee from the University of Berlin introducing new words into American English!
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

Today in sign class we had four different Deaf. All four used a different sign for "study" some very different, some just different orientation.

The problem with this business of "coming from the Deaf community" is that they really mean "coming from the young upper middle class educated Deaf community" which is an entirely different ball game. Sign seems to change radically every 20 years. My Deaf ladies are all in their 60s, not well educated, and from different geographical areas. They argue a lot about what sign is correct to teach us. They are pretty tired of having young rich male Deaf bully them.

Religious signs seem to be the worst. All four sign "God" differently. "Church" "bless"

Go to a public library and look at their books on sign. Eyeopening.

Today we had a new student. He was looking at the book and listening to the teacher, just like you do in any class. Except this absolutely does not work with sign. The first thing you have to learn is ALWAYS look at the person who is signing. Seems obvious but it definitely is not!

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Annie

I've got a big (700+ pp) book that you might be interested in:

For Hearing People Only
    Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Deaf Community, its culture and the "Deaf Reality."

by Matthew S. Moore & Linda Levitan

ISBN 0-9634-01603-7

The information comes out of questions asked by Hearing readers of the magazine Deaf Life.
    Last edited by howdydave; 01-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

Yes, I have looked at that.

Notice the capitals. The Deaf Community and the deaf community are two entirely different groups of people. My ladies are deaf, not Deaf. Things will change in the next generation because deaf children now have much more access to education than my ladies did. But the same as the situation is with hearing children, there will still be a split between the privileged and the nonprivileged.

The kids who drop out of school at 15 are human too, deaf or hearing. You would never know they existed from Deaf culture stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12