Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Obedience

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Default My Obedience

Howdy!

As most have probably figured out by now, I'm a monastic wanna' be...

I went to the monastery (St. Tikhon's of Zardonsk, just NE of Scranton PA) for Thanksgiving.
    Just before I left, my Spiritual Father told me that he and the Abbot wanted me to become an ASL Interpreter.

About 20 years ago I worked at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, but we used SEE (Signed Exact English.)

It sounded as if they wanted the impossible. Even if I learned enough to become an Interpreter, how would I be able to maintain my skills out there in the boonies of NE PA?

At this point I am clinging to the dogma:
    If your Spiritual Father gives you an Obedience, there must be some way for you to fulfill it!

While talking to a former advisor of mine last week, he told me that there was a Pennsylvania State School for the Deaf in Scranton (about 20 miles away.)

I am currently doing my preliminary research...

I'm going back to St. Tikhon's for Christmas.
    http://sttikhonsmonastery.org/
    Last edited by howdydave; 12-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

This sounds good. I think God is going to help you with this one!

Rabbit

Distinguished Community Member

i agree with rabbit, with spiritual guidance and help like you said. keep us up to date on it please.

How wonderful Dave. When we are truly called we can overcome all sorts of obstacles. Philippians 4:13 - I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. You are in my prayers.

If anybody else is ever interested in learning ASL, I found a great site:

Signing Savvy
    http://www.signingsavvy.com/
    Dave
    www.howdydave.com

Distinguished Community Member

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity Dave. I have come to believe that if a door opens for me, it is my job to walk through it. I can always turn around and come back or go in a different direction, but I will miss whatever possibilities lie ahead if I do not walk through the door. I always have thought I would like to learn to sign. Good luck to you and keep us posted. Tattoo

I've been networking for the last week or so...

Establishing contacts on Long Island, Washington DC, Texas, California and Colorado who are currently using ASL in their churches...

I'm trying to find anybody who has a Standardized translation/transliteration of the Liturgy into ASL...
    None yet, but if I get all of these people talking to each other, maybe something will come of it.
    Dave
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

Hi Dave

I have been learning Sign for about a year. We have a group of profoundly deaf women at the Senior Center and they are teaching me.

First thing to remember is that only young deaf people know ASL, and many young ones don't know it. Most older deaf speak manual english or some other dialect. You have to be flexible. Your earlier training will be useful. For example, there are several different signs for Jesus. For church.

There have been several major shifts in sign over the last 50 years. But mostly the changes only affect the educated Deaf. The majority just go along signing the way they first learned and signing "old" or "new" or "icky" if you ask about a different sign.

What I enjoy about it is the difference in thinking. The deaf do not think like the hearing. The educated Deaf who are part of Deaf culture think more like the hearing than my uneducated deaf. Very other.

For example, there are very few verbs. When I translate something I have to pick out the five or so important words out of a 50 word sentence. Complicated by my lack of vocabulary. My ladies can't read well enough to deal with closed captioning.

One of my most fun days was translating hula dancing. The hula teacher was explaining the story and some of the movements, which are words. I was signing them. The gesture for "star" is the same in Hawaiian hula and in sign.

So relax. Just attempting to sign makes deaf people very happy. You can get a long way being able to say "good morning" and "how are you" which are courtesys that are important. And it is amazing how it delights them when you tell them "I am not a chicken" shortly after they have taught you the sign for chicken.

You'll be fine.

Good to hear from you!

Just got back from the monastery (I went there for Christmas) and arrived home about an hour before the snow (8" in a day.)

My instructions are now explicit: Become an ASL Interpreter while I am in Rochester!

I'm starting to feel like a student again...
    Made my first contact with the Admissions Dept. at NTID (National Technical Institute for the Deaf) via e-mail yesterday.
    Sent in my initial application for Student Aid yesterday.

Classes start in about 3 weeks...

My classes will probably take more than 3 years to complete!
    Last edited by howdydave; 12-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    Dave
    www.howdydave.com

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Three years! Wishing you the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast