Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission Impossible?

Howdy!

It's been a while so I thought that I would give you an update on my status...

As you may or may not know, I am a monastic aspirant (an Eastern Orthodox Monastery in Pennsylvania.)

I spent Thanksgiving at the monastery where, since they don't eat meat, I had a very interesting Thanksgiving Dinner:
    2" thick Tuna steaks
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    The biggest scallops I've ever seen in my life and
    Sushi.

(They have some outstanding cooks at the monastery!)

Just before I left I was told by my spiritual father that he and the abbot wanted me to become a Sign Language Interpreter.

I have been looking around to see what is involved...
    It will take a LOT of study!
    7 or 8 courses in ASL (American Sign Language)
    Interpeter classes (ASL to English and English to ASL)
    Transliteration
    and a slew of other stuff.

At this point I am clinging to the dogmatism:
    If your Spiritual Father gives you an Obedience, there must be some way to carry it out!

I was never a great academian...

BTW: I'm going back for Christmas!
    Last edited by howdydave; 11-29-2012, 04:00 AM.
    Dave ©¿©¬
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

sounds very interesting. and it would be oh so worthwhile. thanks for sharing this with us. i encourage you to do this. It is bad for those who do not hear very well, I can say this for sure. Let us know how far you get or I mean how long t takes to master it.

Comment

Personally, I prefer sushi over turkey any day.

From what I have come to know of you over the years here at BrainTalk, I believe that this would be a wonderfully fulfilling and enjoyable challenge for you. I totally encourage you to do you best, and if you do, I am confident you will succeed. I am sure there is a need for more ASL interpreters out there.

Good luck,
      Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM.
      "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

((((((Dave))))))

You're on a mission for God. Of course, it's possible!

Every journey begins with a first step, so rather than focus on the magnitude of the journey right now, take the first step. Test the waters. See how it feels. See how well you do. It may lead you somewhere else, where you are meant to go. You will never know, unless you try.

I visited the monastery's website. What a beautiful, peaceful, lovely place. No wonder you want to go back for Christmas. I'm sure it will be incredible with snow.

Please keep us apprised of your studies and progress.

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I'm taking my application down to NTID (National Technical Institute for the Deaf) today.
          If accepted, I will start in September.

In the meantime, I will be taking ASL 1 as a refresher course at a local community college.
          Classes start on Jan. 22.

Now all I need to do is figure out which doctor to give my Medical Report for Vocational Rehabilitation to...
          My epileptologist or my internest (I have other problems besides epilepsy.)

In order to get into the Interpreter Program at NTID, I have to become a matriculated student and get a second Bachelors degree.
          They won't just let me take the relevant courses as a non-matriculated student.
          Last edited by howdydave; 01-08-2013, 04:12 AM.
          Dave ©¿©¬
          Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
          www.howdydave.com

Comment

Working...
          X