Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input about "home" page layout

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still notice there is some significant space left. Perhaps for unregistered visitors there could (should) be a decent sized banner/button/link that invites them to join.
    Where? Any white space on the bottom can't be used because it changes depending on how many rss feeds are pulled from the various sites. There isn't really any way around that

But I could create a banner that is only visible (up top) for folks that aren't logged in that encourages them to register. It'll have to wait until after finals (next two weeks).

I'd love to have our logo/banner wider ... but I would have to completely redesign it and nobody has offered input when I asked so I've left it alone for now
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Oh heck Mike, it was a good idea for an addition IF there is room and flexibility, but NOT if not! Nevermind - the page looks just fantastic as is and everyone really LOVES it with featured users!!!! The personal touch of seeing who is here really draws me (us) in. Having readers register is totally secondary - maybe just a reminder in the forum feedback once in a while.... no big deal at all.
    Great work Mike, I LOVE the new main page!!! (And I'm a social media groupie). Thank you for your amazing work, Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Administrator/Community Manager David Hosobuchi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    Where? Any white space on the bottom can't be used because it changes depending on how many rss feeds are pulled from the various sites. There isn't really any way around that

But I could create a banner that is only visible (up top) for folks that aren't logged in that encourages them to register. It'll have to wait until after finals (next two weeks).

I'd love to have our logo/banner wider ... but I would have to completely redesign it and nobody has offered input when I asked so I've left it alone for now
    Where you ask??? Well, I'm no expert, that's why we have you (Mike) do this. That way I can come up with ideas, you tell me how viable they are! But upon seeing your reply, and looking again, I did consult with my wife about her thoughts on placement as well. She came up with the same conclusion I did. So here it is, why not right up top, in the center, between to our own logo and the log in space. It just hit me another great place to put one might be the toolbar for visitors that are not logged in. That way no matter what page in the forum they are visiting, they will always see it.

That was exactly what I had in mind, a banner or button that is viewed only by visitors when not logged in, inviting/encouraging those not already members to join, then linking to a compelling registration page. Though no rush though, We certainly would want you to do the best you possibly can on your finals.
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 07-14-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: grammar
    "The Most Determined Win!"

Blog Entries

Hmm ok, I've already got some ideas for the registration page and banner (for both the "home" and "forum" pages) They're jotted down so even if I have to wait until after finals I won't lose them

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Administrator/Community Manager David Hosobuchi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    Hmm ok, I've already got some ideas for the registration page and banner (for both the "home" and "forum" pages) They're jotted down so even if I have to wait until after finals I won't lose them
    Far for me to think that you would lose BT "stuff"...

That's supposed to be behind us. lol
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 07-14-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "The Most Determined Win!"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mike & David))))))

Love to watch you work for the betterment of BT!

THANK YOU!!!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Blog Entries

Ok I won't have time today to do the banner I'm working on part 1 of my final for my online class. Depending on how much I get done I may have some time to play around with it Saturday

Step 1 - log in

Blog Entries

Ok added a register tab that only guests can see. Currently it's "red" ... can be changed to almost any other color Still working on a good banner and a revamped register page.

Step 1 - log in

New Community Member

Hello, I was one of the members on the old site and having checked to see if it is still running, I'm glad to see that it is. It's been years since I last posted, I just wanted to thank those responsible for picking up the baton and keeping the ship afloat. I was helped greatly in the past and I should try and be part of a community that is still helping people. I was diagnosed late with a B12 deficiency, even though I had been told many times on here that was the problem, it took the doctors a few more years before the penny dropped. Is Rose still here, I owe a lot to her.
    Anyway, I'm glad that you are still here and I promise to keep in touch and put my tuppenceworth in when I can.

Blog Entries

Yes Rose is still here :) She posts mainly in the Child Neuro (CN) forum.

Step 1 - log in

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast