Looking for input about "home" page layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
    I still notice there is some significant space left. Perhaps for unregistered visitors there could (should) be a decent sized banner/button/link that invites them to join.
    Where? Any white space on the bottom can't be used because it changes depending on how many rss feeds are pulled from the various sites. There isn't really any way around that

But I could create a banner that is only visible (up top) for folks that aren't logged in that encourages them to register. It'll have to wait until after finals (next two weeks).

I'd love to have our logo/banner wider ... but I would have to completely redesign it and nobody has offered input when I asked so I've left it alone for now
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Oh heck Mike, it was a good idea for an addition IF there is room and flexibility, but NOT if not! Nevermind - the page looks just fantastic as is and everyone really LOVES it with featured users!!!! The personal touch of seeing who is here really draws me (us) in. Having readers register is totally secondary - maybe just a reminder in the forum feedback once in a while.... no big deal at all.
      Great work Mike, I LOVE the new main page!!! (And I'm a social media groupie). Thank you for your amazing work, Donna
      Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
      Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Weins View Post
        Where? Any white space on the bottom can't be used because it changes depending on how many rss feeds are pulled from the various sites. There isn't really any way around that

But I could create a banner that is only visible (up top) for folks that aren't logged in that encourages them to register. It'll have to wait until after finals (next two weeks).

I'd love to have our logo/banner wider ... but I would have to completely redesign it and nobody has offered input when I asked so I've left it alone for now
        Where you ask??? Well, I'm no expert, that's why we have you (Mike) do this. That way I can come up with ideas, you tell me how viable they are! But upon seeing your reply, and looking again, I did consult with my wife about her thoughts on placement as well. She came up with the same conclusion I did. So here it is, why not right up top, in the center, between to our own logo and the log in space. It just hit me another great place to put one might be the toolbar for visitors that are not logged in. That way no matter what page in the forum they are visiting, they will always see it.

That was exactly what I had in mind, a banner or button that is viewed only by visitors when not logged in, inviting/encouraging those not already members to join, then linking to a compelling registration page. Though no rush though, We certainly would want you to do the best you possibly can on your finals.
        Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 07-14-2013, 08:36 PM. Reason: grammar
        "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Hmm ok, I've already got some ideas for the registration page and banner (for both the "home" and "forum" pages) They're jotted down so even if I have to wait until after finals I won't lose them

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
          Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Weins View Post
            Hmm ok, I've already got some ideas for the registration page and banner (for both the "home" and "forum" pages) They're jotted down so even if I have to wait until after finals I won't lose them
            Far for me to think that you would lose BT "stuff"...

That's supposed to be behind us. lol
            Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 07-14-2013, 01:51 PM.
            "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

((((((Mike & David))))))

Love to watch you work for the betterment of BT!

THANK YOU!!!

Love & Light,

Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Ok I won't have time today to do the banner I'm working on part 1 of my final for my online class. Depending on how much I get done I may have some time to play around with it Saturday

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Ok added a register tab that only guests can see. Currently it's "red" ... can be changed to almost any other color Still working on a good banner and a revamped register page.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Hello, I was one of the members on the old site and having checked to see if it is still running, I'm glad to see that it is. It's been years since I last posted, I just wanted to thank those responsible for picking up the baton and keeping the ship afloat. I was helped greatly in the past and I should try and be part of a community that is still helping people. I was diagnosed late with a B12 deficiency, even though I had been told many times on here that was the problem, it took the doctors a few more years before the penny dropped. Is Rose still here, I owe a lot to her.
                    Anyway, I'm glad that you are still here and I promise to keep in touch and put my tuppenceworth in when I can.

Comment

Yes Rose is still here :) She posts mainly in the Child Neuro (CN) forum.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

((((((Graham)))))) ~

Welcome Back!

I'm "The Other Rose," to whom Mike is referring. I'm not the Rose, who I think your hoping to find, who posted in the Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency forum. Sorry to disappoint you! However, my husband is British. Does that help?

I don't know whether your Rose is active here. Perhaps check the members list for her name to see when she last visited/posted?

I'm glad for you that the doctors finally figured it out, and I hope you are well. I look forward to getting to know you!

Love & Light,

Rose

Edited to Add: I found rose on the Member List, and she has never posted on this incarnation of BrainTalk.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

She does have her own internet page:

Here's the Google search results for "roseannster:"

Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM.
                        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thanks Earth Mother

Many thanks Rose for welcoming me back, you most certainly don't disappoint me and thanks for doing the research to find where the other Rose is now, she did help me a lot. Sorry for taking time to get back to you, I've had some computer gremlins.
                          I look forward to getting to know people on here and hope that you are keeping well. I mean, if your hubby is British, were practically related .

Comment

((((((Graham)))))) ~

Well, I asked my husband to send you a message via me, in "Scotch," and he said, "I'll have another!"

I also recalled that my maternal grandfather had a little Scottish in him, while my paternal grandfather had too much Scotch in him.

And I like plaid.

So, yes, we are practically related!

Computer gremlins are quite annoying. I do hope that you have banished them by now.

On a serious note, are you affected by the horrible flooding? It's just alarming how much flooding is occurring in the U.K.

I hope that you are able to track down Rose. I'm sure that she would appreciate knowing that she helped you. After all, that is why we're all here, to give and receive help.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

I'll have another sounds good to me.....a man after my own heart
                              We have been pretty lucky in Scotland Rose, we have had plenty rain (nothing new there) but no flooding problems. It is the south of England
                              and Wales that have been hit with terrible flooding and storms. I hope this is not a taste of things to come, but I very much suspect that it
                              will be. I haven't tracked Rose down, but I was in touch with her some time back and she knows that I will be eternally grateful to her for her
                              advice and support.

I still have problems, but don't we all, however things have not worsened since my b12 injections started years back, in fact there may have been
                              some slight improvements. It just went on for too long before they started treating it and I'm stuck with PN.

I was on Gabapentin for a few years but changed a few months ago to Pregabalin. I had heard some people say it helped and others thought it didn't. I'm
                              happy to say that in my case the stinging pain is better managed with Pregabalin.

I hope you are your hubby are both well and Jon is managing ok.

Take care
                              Graham
                              Last edited by Graham; 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X