Thread: Sleep Paralysis

Community Member

Default Sleep Paralysis

I had a scary episode tonight - at first I was dreaming that there were people [whom I know well] all around me, and we were all going to sleep. In the dream I fell asleep but soon woke up again - the others were still sleeping, but then I became unsure if they were there, and I tried calling out but it seemed that I could not make any sound, and I wasn't sure if they were there.

Then I was stuggling to wake up and get out of bed, in the dream. I needed to know if those people were here, they must have been because they were getting really upset with me shouting questions about if they were here.

Then the dream ended, and I woke up for real but I could not move - sleep paralysis - but I still desperately needed to know if those people were here [a remnant memory of the dream I suppose]. I finally made a huge effort and tossed the covers off, then I got out of bed and went to the light switch and expected to see people here, nobody was here.

---

"Sleep Paralysis" seems to me to be a misnomer - I understand that normally when asleep we are paralysed [you would never know, because it is gone the instant you wake up] but "sleep paralysis" is actually when you wake up and cannot move [if I got that right?].

Another state is "Hypnogogic Hallucinations" - as we awaken we have hallucinations.

I might be having both, in combination.

But Has anyone ever dreamed that they are sleeping, and having a dream in that sleep? I guess thats not too strange... but in that dream I had sleep paralysis and then I had sleep paralysis when the dream ended and I could tell the difference because in the dream I was sleeping on the floor beside my bed - to accomodate all those people sleeping here [about 5 of them], and in reality when paralysed I knew I was in my bed.

Get it? I think I do...

Community Member

The dreams are getting closer, in time, to what is really going on:
    Today I dreamed I was in some house and sleeping there, and while sleeping I had a dream that I had friends show up, but I could not get up - sleep paralysis? - but I kept fighting to move and finally went to the kitchen and apologised.
    When that dream ended, I started to wake up for real in my own bed here. I could not move - sleep paralysis - and I fought it off until finally I could throw the covers back and crawl out of bed. Then I realised someone was knocking on my door... a friend had come to see me.

Not so strange, the real friend triggered a dream. I couldn't wake up to answer the door, and so my mind put that sleep paralysis into my dream's dream. I am dreaming I am sleeping and having a dream in that sleep, a dream about "someone is here to see me" but I couldn't wake up so I woke up so I could wake up to answer the door cause someone was here to see me.
    Oh, ok. So, whats this? Am I writing a post about dreaming in dreams or dreaming of writing a post about dreaming in dreams?

Whoo!! Its time to go to bed - or is it time to go to bed in a dream about being time to go to bed? I am too tired to get up to go to bed.

Community Member

Maybe its is about "Knowing who your real friends are" lol

Distinguished Community Member

oh so i am not the on;y person to have weird dreams and such huh? i had just posted about leaving some light on when i sleep because i wake up disoriented at times. with menieres i really do but even norml days aren't normal at times it seems for me.