Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This A Seizure?

Hi & (((((HUGS)))))) To All ~

For a week, Jon has been contending with problems associated with the change of his indwelling catheter (he has an enlarged prostate and has to use a catheter for the rest of his life). We are suspecting that what we are seeing from Jon is a reaction to a bladder spasm, but we aren't positive that it isn't a seizure.

So, I come again to the experts here for your opinion.

Jon purses his lips. Sometimes, he will loosen up and relax them, but most of the time, they remain solidly shut. He looks as though he has just sucked on the sourest lemon on the planet.

He is fully alert, fully aware of my presence, of his surroundings.

His eyes look fine. No change in his pupils. No nystagmus. No staring.

His limbs are relaxed. He picks up things and hands them to us. He reaches up for a hug.

He just can't get his lips to open. He puts his finger up to his lips, as if to try to pry them apart. He doesn't. But he realizes that he can't open them.

This can last for a minute to 5 minutes. After he relaxes his lips, he sighs, coughs, smiles, speaks. He's fine.

Jon is extremely lethargic and tired. He lost a lot of blood with his catheter change, and he's holding his urine for several hours, rather than continuously draining his bladder. His BM's had stopped. We were concerned that he was holding on to his seizure meds (Depakote, Dilantin, Phenobarb ~ all the old line drugs) and that he might be going toxic on one or more of them.

Now that he is releasing a lot of urine and his bowels are finally moving, I am wondering whether he is flushing out his meds, which might be causing these pursed lips episodes, if they are seizures.

Does this sound like a seizure to you? If so, what kind?

Thank you all, as always, for helping me to sort out my mysterious son.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Hi Rose,
    There is the possibility that Jon is having a simple partial sz. take note if he's blinking his eyes rapidly when this happens or if he gets up and walks around. Sometimes when I start to have a complex partial sz. I will have problems
    around my mouth and my lips will start having a muscle spasm and I'm conscious during this time this is the beginning of a simple partial sz. and often it will lead into a complex partial sz. for me. I hope I'm wrong about the sz.
    and have Jon start taking vitamin B12 once a day this will calm his nerves down. Here's wishing you and Jon only the best and May God Bless you Both!

Sue

Comment

((((((Sue))))))))

Thank you for your response.

Jon doesn't blink his eyes, nor have any other overt symptoms. However, he did squeeze my hand tightly just now, as he had another episode. I now believe that they are seizures. They start about 5:30 in the evening. Right around the time of his 2nd med doses. Today, I gave him his meds 1/2 hour earlier, but to no avail. The seizure lasted 2 mins. Pursed lips, rubbed his head with both hands once, then gripped my hand with his left hand.

After it was over, he immediately spoke to me.

His home health nurse will visit Monday to draw blood levels, meanwhile, I'm increasing his med doses to protect him from a full on tonic clonic, like the one he had in June this year.

Thanks again for your help.

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Rose,

I'm wondering if the med you are giving Jon isn't triggering the possible sz. I know yrs. ago when I was taking neurontin it caused me to have sz. each day. You might want to check with the Dr. or pharmacist to see if the med
        that Jon is taking might be the cause of the sz. I wish you and the family only the best and May God Bless All of You!

Sue

Comment

((((((Sue))))))

Thanks, Sue. Jon's been on Pheno for 40 years, Dilantin for 30 years, and Depakote for 17 years, so I don't think it is his meds. We had his blood drawn, and his levels were low with all 3 meds, so we increased his doses.

The episodes stopped after the nurse advanced his catheter. And at that point, he was still low on his levels. So, we're now going back to the possibility of bladder spasms and not seizures. Nonetheless, we are continuing with the increased med doses and expect to have another blood draw to check levels in a week or two.

Thanks again, and God Bless You too!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi Rose,

I'm glad to hear that it was just the drug level being a little low that triggered the sz. and nothing else. I will tell you that when I was on Depakote I took it for many yrs. close to 20 yrs. if I'm not mistaken and then my body
            became immune to the drug so it didn't work anymore, be sure that Jon doesn't have the same problem as I did. I wish you and Jon only the best and May God Bless You Both!

Sue

Comment

Working...
            X