Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peripheral Neuropathy , medication caused

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member

Default Peripheral Neuropathy , medication caused

Peripheral Neuropathy , a numbness,tightness, pain, swelling and/or tingling nerves in the hands in feet, is known in Diabetics, in those with HIV AIDS,in Alchoholics and in people having treatment for cancer. It is also found in people taking other medications--like AED's. The most well known is Dilantin,but others can be guilty as well.
    Recently I had drug-induced neuropathy from a generic. Armed with Google, :

I GOOGLED FOR:
    caused by medication "neuropathy"
    and
    "drugs causing peripheral neuropathy"
    and
    drug induced neuropathy

AMONG THE THOUSANDS OF RESULTS were:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000700.htm

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/DocSe...pdf?docID=1604

http://www.diseasesandconditions.net...europathy.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1653573

Linnie
    Last edited by linniec; 09-26-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Thankyou Linnec, I have neuopathy & take 150 mg dilantin a day. I didn't have it till I had those 3 seizures. Maybe my dilantin was increased after that (I don't recall, I'll ask my DH tonight). I read someplace that tegretol might help blood flow (isn't good blood flow imp. in neuropathy). However, I get double vision if my dilantin is too low.
    Lorraine (lor)

Lor,

Please Use those Google search terms to find out much more. Dilantin ( Phenyltoin ) has an interesting connection to neuropathy. It can either Cause neuropathy or help neuropathy. But you'll see that. I had neuropathy that was caused by Dilantin.

Linnie

linnie, What will you see?
    Lorraine (lor)

If you have symptoms of tingling and and numbing of your hands or feet, which feels like a glove, sausage casing, or worse , you may have injured peripheral nerves. An electrical test of your peripheral nerves is given. A trained technician-nurse will apply electrodes to various parts of your lower limbs. The nerve response is then tested. There is a very minimal electrical shock . There might be further testing. For this test,wear no lotion on your hands, legs and feet, so the electrodes can be applied.

Linnie

my neuropathy is still caalled idiopathic and i am now dead from the knees down. my hands are also bad and have been hurting in ther joints between my fingers. i take a lot of strong pain medicine for other things and i would have thought that that would knock the pain in my fingers.

way back in the 90's when i had my first test on my nerves etc. the neurologist put me on so many seizure meds, and at the same time, i was like a zombie. now years later the thought has occured to me that becaue of neuro having me on so many drugs, it may have in fact made it all that much worse.

you would think that a neuro would think that first thing but no not so back then. i think it was all guesswork at first. i know i had my neuropathy before neurontin made the pdr book. i sure wish i woul d stop but not doing it. now my thighs burn in front so it is still progressing. i hate the darned stuff.. i know that many people have it.

My lower legs hurt all the time. It's not bad in the day but every night I wake up automatically flexing my feet then moving my legs thinking more circulation will help. (I tend to think that since it's better when I'm up & moving, that exersize might help).
    Lorraine (lor)

Lor,
    Please report this to your neurologist/epileptologist. Dilantin is a major culprit. It is famous for causing Peripheral neuropathy or , at the very least, its beginnings. Don't let it go unchecked.

Linnie

Has anyone tried peripheral neuropathy exercises at youtube. I found several basic ones that seemed to help.

Linnie

Where id you find this, Linnie?
    I'd like to tyr some.
    Lorraine (lor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast