Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still here from the "old days"?

Default Anyone still here from the "old days"?

I haven't been on here in ages, and was just curious if anyone was still around from "way back then."

Brion L

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Brion, there are a few of us left but not many. The reoccurring shutdowns seem to take a toll each time and we just had another one a couple weeks ago. I hope Big Joe, Lee, Karen and some others that show up now and then stop in to say hi. I keep up with you on FB so I don't feel like I miss talking to you when you aren't on this site.

The past 4 months my pain has taken a turn for the worse as my thoracic spine -T4 area - has been acting up and now my cervical spine -C2-3 has decided to get in on the act. I am having much more pain and muscle spasms than previously despite suffering from chronic pain back then. I don't want to pursue any treatments so I am working on making this pain level the new normal.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

4. The following user says "thanks"

Hey Brion... I certainly remember! It has been a long time. I try to check in from time to time. I have been out of town for about 8 days. My wife's youngest brother died quite unexpectedly and we were gone for the funeral and helping take care of issues with his estate for his kids. It was sure good to get back home! I hope you are doing well. I had another surgery (lumbar fusion and etc) last winter. I NEVER want to go through that again. Glad you found us!

6. The following user says "thanks"

I go back to 1995 when I hung out in the depression chat room for several years before things got crazy in the chats and moved over to the chronic pain and spinal boards.

8. The following user says "thanks"

I first came here in 99, looking for information to help with a wrist injury from an auto accident. We had already been through round 1 with Greg's cancer in 95-96, and thought we were in the clear. Cancer had other plans, and hell followed with it.

I'm not really sure what brought me back here, and why I decided to share my life with complete strangers, but Braintalk became a refuge in the storm. I could open myself up to the people here, something I couldn't do anywhere else. I took a huge risk putting myself and my family online for all to see, but the love and support we received truly gave me renewed hope in humanity. Just like anyone with chronic pain/health issues, I continue to go through ups and downs, but the fact that I'm still alive and able to enjoy my children and grandchildren diminishes whatever problems I have to put up with.

Several people (including a couple of professional writers) have suggested I write a book about our experiences, using my Braintalk and email updates and posts as the basis. Somehow, I had the presence of mind to save all my posts and updates, so it would be possible. I think I have reached the point where I could deal with it emotionally. For the first time in over a decade, I looked at a few of those posts and emails. They are still very painful to read, but I didn't completely fall apart. I'll keep you posted.

Brion L

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Brion, you put into words what brought me to stay here. I started in 1998 looking for answers on thoracic spinal issues and options but found this place was much more than that. The book sounds interesting and your experiences could fill several volumes. It is good to see Pain95 and Big Joe come back to answer your call.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

12. The following user says "thanks"

Red face OMG - I can't believe I'm back posting on MGH LOL

I just got an email that MGH was up and running, so it triggered me to check it out after all these years... Does anyone remember me? Marmar? Mar Squared? Double Mar? Or, Maryanne LOL. Unfortunately, I still need to be here... I'll do a separate post on my update, I just wanted to say HEY to all the old timers from the 90's. I used to live and breathe this forum, honestly! I signed on as soon as I got to work, and at home as soon as I got home. Well into the early morning hours, sometimes. Learned invaluable information, found unbelievable compassion and commiseration, and some laughs and fun along the way. Anyone else out there from the old days???? I am in touch with Harrier, and at least one other Spiney that used to post. Maybe we can start a mini reunion, right? Thanks for starting the post!

14. The following user says "thanks"

I remember you and Harrier!

Diagnosed with stomach/esophageal CA in 10/99. Surgery opening abdomen and chest to remove stomach, esophagus, and spleen. Surgery about 10 days later for with lung infection. Was given about a year to live. 5 more surgeries in as many years, for hernias and adhesions, including removing about half of the colon. Thoracic problems from radiation, upper left abdominal pain from adhesions. Pump implanted in 2000. Shiny new pump in 2011. Oldest son diagnosed with stomach CA in 9/2000. Died 9/22/2001

16. The following user says "thanks"

I remember me... and the rest of you. While I wish you did not need to be here, I am glad to see my old friends... always!!!

18. The following user says "thanks"

New Community Member

I remember Mark N. I have not been here in years. I see the site has been cleaned out and simplified. I am now again a new member. It has been almost a decade since my surgery and I think I joined here in about 02.

I'm back again now that my lumbar spine is dealing me fits and trying to shut me down and once again, I may be back on the road to surgery.

I see so little traffic here compared to back then. I kept one pen pal from back then. We have been writing from one side of the globe to the other for all these years.

20. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast