Gelastic Seizure ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gelastic Seizure ?

My 4 year old son woke up thursday night laughing hyterical we thought he was just having a funny dream.The next day he had 2 more laughing fits unprovoked and I caught them on video .He's seems to be having 2 a day. I'm starting to think something is wrong because when I watch the video his eye movements and hand movements are not normal. Does anyone here have any experience with gelastic seizures or seizures? I will post to the link to the video I took and I'm in the process of uplaoding 2 more.
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Hi there and welcome to Braintalk :)

I just wanted to say that nobody here can diagnose a condition, only offer an opinion, my opinion is that you show your doctor the video and if possible a neurologist.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

((((((momto3gents))))))

Welcome to Braintalk~

I'm sure that you must be very concerned about your son's episodic outbursts of laughter. I watched the video, but without sound.

My youngest son had gelastic seizures (he had every kind of seizure), and we were able to discern the difference between normal laughter and gelastic seizures by the duration of the laughter and whether we could calm him to a non-laughter mode quickly.

Recently, my oldest son has had a couple of laughing episodes, which we suspected were gelastic seizures.

So, I am familiar with this seizure type. But I cannot state whether your son is having gelastic seizures.

I encourage you to share the videos with your son's doctor, and ask for a referral to a pediatric neurologist.

You are concerned, and you sense that this is not normal for your son. My motto is: Trust Your Gut.

Your post will be noticed by more members if you post on our Child Neurology and Epilepsy forums. I'm a regular on CN and an occasional poster on Epilepsy. We want you to receive the full support that you need, so please join us on these two forums.

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hello once again :)

It was mentioned to me via one of our moderators that perhaps you should video one of your sons episodes without the other child (heard in the background laughing) to help show that he wasn't laughing because the other child was. It would make things clearer for the doctor(s) if they only heard you talking to your son and his laughter and replies.
        Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
        Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
        Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
        Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
        Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
        Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
        Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Thanks everyone on Sunday night he had two tonic clinic seizures so I took him this children's hospital after the team if neurologist reviewed the video they said in fact they think it was a gelastic seizure he's been having up to two a day and I suspect he's having.g small seizures throughout the day his hands,eyes and face do weird movements. We went for a mri on Tuesday and I got a call from the pediatrician saying.g it was normal which is a relief. I'm still waiting on a call from the neurologist and we go back the 16th to see him. For the moms that have children with gelastuc seizures are they coherent during the seizure? Once again thanks for the replies we are on the road this getting this figured out.

Comment

((((((momto3gents))))))

So sorry to hear that your little guy had 2 tonic clonic seizures. It's good that you had the video to show the neuros, and a normal MRI is good news.

I can't really answer your question about coherency during a gelastic seizure. My boys seemed to be aware, but they were not responsive, while they were laughing. Also, my boys had gelastic seizures as adults, which is quite unusual, because they typically begin between the ages of 2 and 4 years. More common in males than females.

Please join us at Child Neuro. We're there to support you.

Love & Light,

Rose

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Working...
            X