Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is dissociation?

Hi:

What exactly is "dissociation"? I've read about it in wikipedia but I still don't understand the definition.

Also, how does one induce total dissociation?

According to wikipedia, dissociative drugs work by cutting off signals from other parts of the brain to the conscious mind. This causes hallucinations via sensory-deprivation.

Thanks,

GX

I realize it's more than eleven years too late to answer, but here is my definition of dissociation.

It's what you do when your father dies at an early age and you are only a child. It's what you do when your father's colleague swoops in to be your savior but in truth is there to molest you. It's what you do when you are forced into a situation like that.

It's what you do when another molester comes along to abuse you all over again in your teen years. It's what you do when you have nowhere to go, no one to rescue you.

It's what you do when your evil stepfather comes along to beat you unmercifully for years. It's what you do when your mother acts like it isn't even happening. It's what you do when you come to be an adult and they deny it and gaslight you.

It's where your mind goes when there is no other place for you. You just cave in. You pull the rug over your eyes and pretend that whatever it is, it isn't happening, and you don't even know you have. It's denial with a capital "D."

It's a prison that is very hard to escape. It becomes part of who you are for the rest of your life. It's almost like home. It's what you did and sometimes still do to survive. It's experiential, not science.

That's what dissociation is to me.

Comment

That's a very grim scenario but all too common.

Some years ago I read quite a bit about the case of one Genie, whose parents had kept her tied up and isolated for much of her childhood from about age 2 to 13--with the result that when she was finally liberated by the intervention of social services, she was found to have been rendered totally incapable of ever learning enough language to communicate very adequately. She'd been followed on into adulthood and never got very far in language. This led to a theory that in human development the brain is "programmed" to pick up language at a certain stage, and if that stage is missed for some reason--as it was for Genie through no doing of her own--the brain won't ever have another chance.

So this human being was deprived of the chance to learn language all because her nutcase father was incredibly cruel.

What goes on behind those closed doors of the home that is everyone's inviolable "castle" is often tragically unknown until it's too late.

To be sure, prying into people's private lives is best avoided.. But children are utterly helpless.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Working...
      X