Thread: I've been away for far too long, and coming back to this place of care and support.

New Community Member

Post I've been away for far too long, and coming back to this place of care and support.

So I am back, and the last time I spent any time here was during my son's first resection for his epilepsy in 2004 - 2005. Since then, and many medication changes later, he has endured one more brain surgery and I am back here to the forums because I need help, I need resources on how to help my 24 yr old son (who made it 1/2 way through his senior year of college before the seizures were too much and he left) deal with, if not overcome, his executive function disorder.. a result from surgery. He was so clear headed and driven and motivated and somewhat organized prior to the 2nd surgery. And now, every day is a struggle. He holds a job, but still doesnt drive. He wont be able to return to his 4 yr college, so we are looking at alternatives so he can complete his education and have that accomplishment he worked so hard towards.

If anyone has dealt with these sort of aftermath deficits from brain surgery, please talk to me.. I am wide open to suggestions. We are looking for schools, for people who work with young adults with executive function problems, for a learning facility, for programs, and to learn coping skills for both my son and myself, from other people dealing with this same thing.

I'm glad to be back here. There are some names that are familiar to me. I hope over the years you have found good health. Thank you,
    Debbie

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Debbie))))))

Welcome Back!

I am not qualified to assist you, as my sons did not have brain surgery. But I suggest that you post on the Child Neuro forum as well as the Epilepsy forum, where your posts are more likely to be seen and receive responses. Not everyone visits the New Visitors forum, but they do visit their "home" forums.

Hope you find the help you need.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.