Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internal spinal cord stimulator

New Community Member

Default Internal spinal cord stimulator

I started having back pain years ago. In 2004 I had surgery resulting in L3-L4-L5 being fused. It was great for quite a while and then - more pain. I had epidurals, caudal epidurals, ablations and a TENS until they stopped working. An MRI showed no disk at L1-L2 and L2-L3. At this point my pm dr. had suggested an implanted spinal cord stimulator.

Has anyone had this done??? What was/is it like and does it work??? Thanks in advance.

Abbilaw

They do a trial with the device strapped to your side, first, to see how effective it will be for you. It might be your answer. A 50% reduction in pain is considered sufficient to go ahead with the permanent implant. The final decision is always yours. If you are not satisfied with the results, don't do it. Best wishes.

New Community Member

Thanks for the info, but I know about the trial. If you go to 'spinal cord stimulation trial' there is great information. What I am looking for is someone who uses one and can tell me how it went for them.
    Thanks again,
    abbilaw

Distinguished Community Member

abbilaw, I hope someone comes along that has experience with the stimulator so you can get some first hand experience before you make the move.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member

I do not have one but my father has had one for the last 5 years. His trial was amazing, he was like a differnt person due to the pain reduction. The actual stimulator did not work as well for him. The doctor told him that sometimes the leads can shift in a person and if they are overweight it happens more often.
    He had to go to the PM clinic on a regular basis the first year but now seldom goes in. He always has his remote with him. It does not make the pain go away but makes it something he can tolerate. Good Luck with it I hope it will help you.

New Community Member

Thank you mrsQ! That's what I want to hear! I want to be a different person. I'm so tired of having the fuzzy brain that goes with taking norco. I use my TENS every day and it helps, but....
    Thanks again.

I have had my trial and psych eval. Both went well and I am now waiting for an appt. to see the surgeon who will be doing the implant which is an outpatient procedure. The hospital is two bumpy hours away so I am staying with my daughter who lives in that city for two days before coming home. I don't want to develope a rare problem and be that far away from the surgeon. BTW, the trial was a total success. The radicular pain was completely eliminated. I didn't want to give it up. Now I wait. Good luck!!!!!

Community Member

I had one implanted a few years ago after the trial, and at first I thought it was going to work. But then it seemed that the stimulation was irritating the sciatic nerve even more. (that's why I had it implanted -- sciatica) I had it reprogrammed several times to no avail. It just irritated the sciatic nerve something awful. We got it so it wasn't too bad, and then something else happened -- the "generator" began working itself OUT of me. I'm quite thin and the edges of the generator began poking out of my skin so the doc said he had no other choice but to take the whole ball of wax out of me -- leads and all. So I had that surgery done. Now I have scar tissue in the upper back where the leads were, and that gives me some trouble. I wish it had worked for me, darn it. Now my only recourse is medication.

I sure hope the SCS works for you!!! It has been a life saver for thousands of people, so I would bet that it's going to work great for you!!! God bless and let us know what happens. Take care. Hugs, Lee
    Recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;
    severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor,fibromyalgia;depression; heart attack. On disability.

Darn it, Lee. You have had more than your share of medical failures over the years. Your current med cocktail is doing the job, isn't it? I keep asking for magic pixie dust but Pain Man doesn't seem to be able to find any. Sigh. Have a good day.

New Community Member

Talking The trial was a great success!!! Whoopee!!!

During the trial I was able to cut my intake of 6-7 pain pills a day to 0-1! I did not want to give it up! Now I'm just waiting for an appointment to get the permanent SCS implanted. (And I'm back on pain pills - darn!)
    Abbi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast