Thread: How many patients of obesity would go for this change?

Default How many patients of obesity would go for this change?

Hi:

I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm thinking of a hypothetical treatment for obesity that alters certain parts of the digestive system. As with all therapy, this is not without drawbacks.

Here is how the digestive system would be modified:

1. No carbohydrate of any type would be absorbed into the bloodstream -- even monosaccharides would be excreted in the stool via the colon
    2. No carbohydrate of any type would be digested -- starches would no longer convert to sugars. Enzymes that digest carbohydrate [such as amylase] are absent.
    3. No part of the digestive system produces substances with a pH below 7. This means bile acids would be absent and the stomach no longer produces HCl.
    4. No lipids of any kind are absorbed into the villi or microvilli [even if completely digested]
    5. No lipids of any kind are digested [lipases are absent]
    6. No greasy substance [even if not classified as a lipid] will be absorbed into the villi/microvilli or digested
    7. No part of the digestive system will produce emulsifiers
    8. Sodium chloride molecules are not absorbed into the bloodstream
    9. Neither sodium nor chloride ions or elements are absorbed into the bloodstream
    10. No molecule containing any form of chlorine or sodium ever gets absorbed into the bloodstream
    11. Toxic alcohols [such as ethanol] are not absorbed into the bloodstream
    12. Vomiting never occurs under any condition
    13. To prevent cramps and bloating, all residual water-soluble molecules [including water-soluble intestinal gases BUT excluding aforementioned substances that are not to be absorbed] are absorbed into the bloodstream. This also prevents flatulence, burping, and belching.
    14. To prevent diarrhea, most of the water in the stool is absorbed into the bloodstream until there is just enough water in the stool to keep the gut flora healthy. Assuming the diet is high in fat, constipation will not occur no matter how low the stool's water content is. Steatorrhea will prevent constipation.
    15. To prevent diverticulitis, the intestinal muscles completely relax during the relaxation phase of peristalsis. When they un-relax they do so in a clonic manner such that they don't strain. These smooth-muscles never contract in a tonic manner as that contributes to diverticulitis and spastic colon. These muscles also un-relax with low-enough intensity that they don't overwork themselves.
    16. Caffeine is not absorbed from the digestive system. This means one can enjoy the taste and smell of coffee without the jitters.

After the above alterations take place, the formerly-obese patient can eat all the pleasurable high-fat, high-carb, and high-salt foods desired and still lose weight. Right?

What would be the medical disadvantages of this cure for obesity?

Regards,

GX
    Last edited by Green Xenon; 08-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

It seems the person can't eat alot of things in this case. For instance no carbs are digegted that means 'no more carbs for you, like chips, cheese burgers, etc. You can have caffeine & not get jitters? Try decafinated coffee or not too much chocolate. I don't know what monosaccharides are but being excreted via the colon might be harmfull, I don't know. There must be so many side effects to all of this. What if some of those side effects do not go away? Maybe you could take pills for the side effect but what about side effects from the pill. If I had a choice, I'd go for my own health & life.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member

I hope this would never be done in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by lor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems the person can't eat alot of things in this case. For instance no carbs are digegted that means 'no more carbs for you, like chips, cheese burgers, etc.
    Since carbs do not enter the bloodstream, the body switches to fat for energy. This is a good thing.

The brain requires lactic-acid for energy. However, the astrocytes and glial cells can rely on ketones. The actual neurons of the brain will still require lactic acid. So where will they get this lactic acid from? From the intestines. In the intestines, bacteria will anaerobically-ferment the carbohydrates into lactic acid. Some of this lactic acid will then be absorbed into the bloodstream and eventually end up being metabolized by the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by lor View Post
    I don't know what monosaccharides are but being excreted via the colon might be harmfull, I don't know.
    A monosaccharide is a carbohydrate whose molecule is small enough to be absorbed into the bloodstream through the villi of the small intestine.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons2 View Post
    I hope this would never be done in reality.
    Why? It would allow you to eat all the tasty foods you want, while losing excess weight and keeping that weight off.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I'm confused, how do make these changes?

Distinguished Community Member

thanks Chris,I'm confused also. this is a BRAIN forum afterall. and something for nothing never works out in my opinion. are we heading for being total robots I wonder??

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

oh wouldn't they love that, if we all broke down the same and fit in their little diagnostic box. I am confused because I get the gist of the processes that are being explained but it does not tell how you achieve changing the body's processes. Does that make sense? I also wonder about someone who takes a lot of medications which affects almost all parts of the body. Basically contaminating it as far as I believe.

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

I am beyond confused! Have I been gone THIS LONG?

Maybe you should post this in the Eating Disorders forum or the Forum on Morbid Obesity. Who knows, maybe somebody there could add the instructions "how to".

Hey everybody. Good to see you. I'm still alive, but really just feel half alive. Yeah, I've been gone too long.

((((hugs to all )))) Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Me too confued :)