Arm driving me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arm driving me crazy

Hi all, about 3 days ago my right arm started feeling a little wierd. It started at the top of my arm, where it felt itchy. But when I scratch it there is no relief. It's like scratching at nothing, almost like my arm is kinda numb. I would rub at it for awile and kinda scratch at it to as well but it just didn't seem to help. Then it went to feeling like it burns and have you ever had your hand fall asleep and then you got the tingles well put the tingles with the itchy burn feeling together and that is whats going down my arm. I have been working long hours in very hot temps so I know that is a blow to my ms anways, but we turned on the central air on so that I can get some relief from the heat have it a little cooler in the house. Well since using the central air I have noticed my arm is acting up more. This feeling of itching,burning, tingeling has gotten worse and has moved futher down my arm. Not sure what to do or how to relieve it. Anyone got any comments on how to handle this. I am looking at maybe going for another steroid IV treatment again if I can't get it under control. I can stand to even have clothes or nothing touching my skin.

Hi Issa, Welcome to the board..... I would ask my neuro for a prescription for these symptoms. It definately does sound like MS is acting up. I have these same symptoms only in my legs and it is just a matter of trying one thing or another to see if it helps. Usually getting cooler makes me feel better. One topical ointment to try to calm down the itching until you can talk to your neuro is hydrocortisone cream which you can try over-the-counter. You will need a script if the tingling and numbness is MS related so run all of those symptoms by your neuro.

Hope you get some relief over the weekend....

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-21-2012, 06:22 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Comment

Hi Issa, and WELCOME!

I would see a doctor about the arm. It might be MS or it might be something else. It could be something fixable.

You say you've been working long hours. I wonder if you use the arm in your work? Sometimes overuse can cause neurological problems.

Like Gabriella, I find that cooling off helps my MS symptoms, but you say that the air conditioning seems to make your arm problems worse. Just wondering if something else might be going on.

I hope you find some ways of getting the symptoms to calm down.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Gabriella, the itch is not on top of my skin but feels as though I have it under. Kind of like having what feels like something crawling on you. I'm not sure the cream would help beings it don't help relieve it when I scratch, I do have it in my legs once in awhile but nothing like this. Though I am going to have to see my nero. Agate I don't think it's the work, though I do work some long hours I supervise and try to not physically run my self down. I was just wondering if anyone else had these problems and what tricks they might have for it. I think I am fighting a loosing battle at times with my job, the heat and stress But you do what you must sometimes.

Comment

Issa, I have it in my legs, almost always the tingling and crawling feelings and somtime the itching. Occassionaly, it will also start in my arms. That is when I try to rest if possible. Like the others have said, you probably need to consider seeing your Doctor since this is new for you.
          Virginia

Comment

Hi Issa, I have also had the creepy crawling feelings and have looked to see if I have a spider or bug on me but there is nothing there. You are correct that scratching does not help the itching. The hydocortisone cream works if what you have is severe itching as I use it on my legs any time they are itching. Both of my legs are numb and tingle most of the time. It comes and goes but when the itching starts the cream helps. I believe it must be the nerves being attacked by the MS.

It is a weak steroid in the over the counter brand and you might need a stronger prescription to get relief. Or you might need a systemic remedy. Hope you do contact your neuro for the answer....

Gabriella
            Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM.
            Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
            Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Comment

Working...
            X