Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The American Academy of Neurology wants your comments

Community Member

Default The American Academy of Neurology wants your comments

Comments Sought for Development of MS Guideline

Comment period closes August 10, 2012
    The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) seeks comments to be used in developing new guideline recommendations for how vaccines may affect the start and progression of multiple sclerosis (MS).

http://www.aan.com/go/practice/publiccomments
    Last edited by Sparky10; 07-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Distinguished Community Member

Interesting.

Default Wondering?

Why are they asking for our comments about whether vaccines contribute to starting or progression of MS? I didn't think they have a clue as to what causes MS. They have not come out to even acknowledge that vaccines might cause any illness. Now they want input from us?

Do I know if having measles at age 21 and not getting a vaccine as they were not available yet caused my MS? H*** NO, I'm not a research scientist!

Do I know if getting the government mandated swine flu shot in 1976 caused my MS? H***NO, I'm not the physician!

Do I know what the H*** caused my MS & MG......NO

Am I the only one that thinks asking us these questions is STUPID?
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Gabriella,

This notice is in the "Members and Professionals" section of the AAN website. I think the academy wants physicians' observations of what they have seen in their practices.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 07-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Well, now that does make sense but these physicians are going to have to ask their patients for more of their medical histories than I have ever been asked. I reread the article and it does say that the public will be asked to contribute.

Has anyone here been asked if they were vaccinated? Or their opinion as to what might have caused their MS? Those questions do need to be asked....and answers found.

It should not have been posted under the title "The American Academy of Neurology wants your comments" in the first place. It certainly did get me riled up at 2am in the morning when I should have been asleep!

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, maybe they made a mistake and didn't really intend to open up the survey to the general public, but the fact is that I was able to take the survey even though I'm not a medical professional or a member of the AAN. I didn't feel qualified to answer some of the questions but did the best I could.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Default Report Back Here Please...

If anyone here gets asked about their opinions by their neurologists as to what might have contribued to their getting MS, would you please let us know?

Gabriella

Just a thought here - since none of us seem to know what caused our MS, then even if our Doctors ask us what kind of answers would they have in the end?

I wish they would be trying to find some way of finding out other than questions and answers because I don't think they are going to get very far with that, since we are all so different and have such different backgrounds.

My Physical Therapist told me that if they took all the people with MS and stood them side by side from California to the East Coast no two people would
    have the same symptoms. Amazing! But I bet if they asked - not many of those people would have a clue as to what caused them to have it either.
    Virginia

Default Clue

I have several clues and if enough people were asked maybe the researchers would have enough puzzle pieces to solve the puzzle. They are not getting anywhere with the current system. All they have done is develop more drugs to try and control what they think it is....while not finding the cause.

Until they find the cause MS will never be cured. In our lifetime the only disease that has been controlled has been polio and it is emerging in other countries where children have not been innoculated.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 07-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Gabriella, I agree there is no way that I can see them finding a cure until they find the cause. All I am saying is most of our answers would be so different that
    somehow it just seems scattered. However, in the absence of anything else I guess it is as good a way as what is being done.
    Virginia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast