Thread: Hospital Bed Rail Covers

Distinguished Community Member

Default Hospital Bed Rail Covers

My mother in law keeps bumping her legs or head on the side rails of the hospital bed.
    I looked into bed rail covers but they are hundreds of dollars & ofcourse not covered by insurance.
    I was just wondering if anyone had delt with before.
    I'm thinking of making my own, maybe getting some twin size comfotors from the thrift store and sewing some sort of tie onto the back of them to keep them in place?
    Just wanting to bounce ideas off others that may have dealt with this before.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((mrsQ))))))

We ordered bed rail pads/covers on line a few years ago, although I can't find the link. We no longer use them.

I did a Google Search, and there are many places on line with covers, most of them are under $100 per pair.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...&cd=3&ie=UTF-8

If you make your own, you could either use ties or velcro straps to keep them in place.

One consideration is to make sure that your mother-in-law can't smother in the bed rail covers. The rails just need to be padded to prevent injury, not too fluffy.

Hope you find what you need.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrsQ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My mother in law keeps bumping her legs or head on the side rails of the hospital bed.
    I looked into bed rail covers but they are hundreds of dollars & ofcourse not covered by insurance.
    I was just wondering if anyone had delt with before.
    I'm thinking of making my own, maybe getting some twin size comfotors from the thrift store and sewing some sort of tie onto the back of them to keep them in place?
    Just wanting to bounce ideas off others that may have dealt with this before.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Yea, Google them or make them or go on Craig's List and see if someone has some they'd sell you. What about the hospital? Ask there, they should supply them but you might need to press them quite a bit. Or in the meantime just cover them with pillows. That has to be rough on her.

Blog Entries

((((((mrsQ))))))

Do you have a medical supplier, who is supplying your mother-in-law's bed? If so, that supplier should also be able to provide bed rail protectors/covers/pads. It's worth asking the supplier. I don't think the hospital will supply you with them, but they might lead you to a supplier, from whom you could buy them.

Bed rail protection has been an issue for both of my sons through many years, so I understand what you're going through. Before my sons were in hospital beds, I used removable bed rails under their mattresses, which were mesh and see through, with give and air circulation. These would be ideal for hospital beds, but they just aren't made that way.

I would be careful with using pillows, depending upon your mother-in-law's condition, as they might be too fluffy.

There are many options available, as you will see from the Google search. They might also give you ideas on how to make your own.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks.
    We talked to the vendor for the bed/and air overlay. The bed was paid for years ago my medicare so it is ''ours'' they are the ones that said insurance would not cover it. The cash price is just not possible, I hadn't thought of craigslist or ebay, thanks for the idea.
    She can't roll on her own, but does move her legs some & just in turning her and things she will bump the rails. She is 88 so it takes nothing to leave a mark on her. An aid was filling in today to come and give her a bath, she got a hold of her hands to put her gown on her instead of her wrist, she had red thumb print bruises on both hands & a skin tear on one. Like you all said I it can't be fluffy, I have some ideas since we don't need supper thick padding. There is just one spot she will put her leg agaisnt when I have her on her side, I actually thought about getting a pool noodle, cutting it & sliding over the rail. It wouldn't work for the upper part but since it is just that one spot I may give that a try. Not sure if it will work but might be a fix till I can find something better.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by mrsQ; 07-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Blog Entries

((((((mrsQ))))))

If the primary concern is her leg, then you might be able to position a pillow half way under her leg and half way up the side rail. Or use a towel inside a pillow case to make a roll. Or wrap a towel in a pillow case (a towel may be abrasive with her delicate skin, and a pillow case is softer) around the railing, secured with strong tape.

We tried the pool noodle unsuccessfully.

Hope you find the best solution.

Love & Light,

Rose