Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All Of You

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Default Hello All Of You

Is this the same as polyneuropathy? Or is it similar?
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Lorraine,
    No, they're not the same although the two terms are often seen used as if they are.

You can have peripheral neuropathy affecting only one nerve (mononeuropathy), or you can have peripheral neuropathy affecting more than one nerve--which would be polyneuropathy.

Peripheral neuropathy refers to the nerves that aren't part of the central nervous system.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

HIi lor, I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, and perhaps that is one reason I have two injuries on my feet. Because my feet are totally dead and if I had felt something when I stepped down after losing my shoes in the lake, maybe I wouldn't have two injuries. My hands are almost half dead and the nerves are dead almost up to my knees in fact. Darn stuff just keep killing off nerves it seems. So far, I am not a diabetic either.

It use to make me crazy trying to find out why, what causes this, etc. and I am hoping someday there will be an answer for many people about all of it..

joy, I'm so sorry. HM hands aren't even effected but near my big toe & between my 1st 2 toes is numb. But both of my calfs hurt. They wake me in the middle of the night with screaming pain. My upper thigh hurts & my bottom does, I have to sit on a pillow.
    Lorraine (lor)

Lor, I'm just wondering if your neurologist agrees with the PN diagnosis? also any possibility taking B12 might help you?

sorry you are going through so much pain!

Lor I always have had more than just the pn wrong myself. It started after I tried to help unload a big console tv with hubby. Guess he thought I was a big strong one huh!! Well I injured my back big time. after that my muscles started hurting and I was told about fibromyalgia. Mind you this was way back in late 70's or so when they were first finding a name for muscle troubles whenever that was.

Troubles kept snowballing after that. I walked way too much and injured my bones from too much walking, geeze wwho knew a person could overdo? The artritis or rheumy doc said to stop that altogether and only exercise in water. so I got MUCH less exercising cuse it was hard getting to a pool here in small town. anwway the idiopathic peripheral neuropathyjust about topped me off as the nerves started dying. Gee they could operate on my feet and I'd not feel a thing. I am glad that I can still type with my two pointy fingers at least cause hands are just about gone as well.

My best advice is to ask them for something for the pain. My neurologist had me on WAY to many pills that people take for seizures. I can remember waiting to see neurontin in the medical doctors book, so it has been long time. Also if you are low on things your muscles need, they will cramp big time. I would certainly mention it. I am wondering if you lost too much oxygen when you had your seizure? I know it is a bad thing to have seizures as I have watched my dar daughter with hers. It is awful and for sure, after a seizure, her muscles and everything is certainly sore!! But it does go away if it was from having a seizure.

My hope is you stick with the doctors and ask questions until they find some answers. I did give up on the why of my pn but at least I did get something for all the pain etc so I was not so miserable at least. I hope to read you are much better soon Lor.

joy, You wrote "lost too much oxygen". I wonder. We left a restaurart & we drove home (about 20 min.) , no one was looking at me, so I don't know if I had 1 sz., shortly after getting in the car & two 15 min. later, or what. By the time we got home my heart had stopped too.(I was told I had 3). Shortly after that I began to wake at night flexing my toes & experiencing tightness in both calfs (a charly horse? EVERY NIGHT.) Now the front of my legs, hips & waist hurt too.
    The chiropractor had me get a CT & then told me I have periferal neuropthy. But both lower legs hurt.
    Should I see a neurolagist? I see my neuro wednesday, for my epilepsy.
    Lorraine (lor)

sorry I have been absent so much but I have a big place on foot without skin and now although I have stayed DOWN except to go to bathroom and ocassionally to go get food or water, I have a big hole now in right foot. It went deep and I have a smaller place on left big toe because I lost my shoes in the lake and cut my feet on rock or whatever in lake water. I cannot feel my feet and had no choice but to walk on out after sandals came off my feet.

anway I will tell more about this in emotional forum. I am looking at months and months of being down longer tho.

I would say YES, see the best neurologist you can get for your peripheral neuropathy. You certainly do not want it progressing like mine has. Dead feet and worse is my HANDS. I cannot even button my shirts etc and they just keep dying like my feet have. I hope yours is not like mine because they cannot find a reason for mine so it is called idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. So if your seizure doctor is not good also with neuropathy, see two doctors if you can. I pray you have insurance hon.

My daughter has had good luck with her seizures these last few years. She had them ofteen for so long so I a thankful for that for her at least. It sometimes just takes the right medicine in the right amount dosage to stop seizures I am hoping so at least for you Lor. Daughter iis better so far than it has been in years. sorry repeating myself here.

Lor, I hope you'll ask your neuro alot of questions tomorrow. perhaps make a list? maybe he/she will order some more tests? it could be something besides PN afterall.

PS apple cider vinegar helps for leg cramps.

good luck!

well the good news is i managed to chew off most of my long nails since i ahve been online here, lol. i cannot use thr nail clippers worth a darn so this is easier for me. i hope you get or got a good one. i know how importand it is really i do. good luck with it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast