Thread: Think I am out of options

Default Think I am out of options

The cardiologist and doctor I have been to want to do test to figure out what is going on with me, but cant do the tests because I dont have health insurance to pay for them. I have been denied for medical assistance, and the ER wont do anything more to help me.
    I am well past the point of being able to ignore all my symptoms. I feel like I am being forced to suffer since I cant afford tests and treatment. This is all making me majorly depressed, it is not the first time the system has failed to help me, I dont think I can handle this again

Distinguished Community Member

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Does your state have a medical plan that you pay a percentage of your income to buy into their insurance?

In my state they offer insurance policies for people who don't have insurance. You pay accordingly to your income. It's for people who don't quailify for medical asistance.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

roadracer...

i can't believe there isn't some way to get you treated! i'm going to throw out some suggestions, if they help, great, if not...i tried.

i don't know how old you are, but if you're 26 or younger, you can still be covered under one of your parent's medical insurance policies from where they work. they would have to put you on the policy.

dawn had a good suggestion. i don't know what state you live in, but some states let you pay for insurance on a sliding fee scale, meaning the less money you make the less you pay for insurance.

you should go down to the social services department in your county. ask them if there is any way you can get treatment if you are low income but not eligible for medicaid.

and last, if you need to quit your job to get medicaid, i would do that and tell your boss you can't work anymore because of your heart probs and how bad you feel. maybe your boss can help you. i don't think you can be refused medicaid if you quit your job due to the fact that you can't work.

i think the social services department in your county would be your best bet for information. you can also google "medical care for low income people in the state of (state you live in)" and see what comes up.

i do hope you get some help, but if you EVER feel sick, they CANNOT refuse you treatment in the ER. it is against the law and you would have legal recourse against the hospital. do not let them bully you by telling you they can't do anything for you. they can do those tests for you that the cardiologist wants to do and if they find something, they would have to treat you. i hope it doesn't come down to that and you're able to get those tests done.

i wish you luck and good health, roadracer. you're a nice person.

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 05-31-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Does your state have a medical plan that you pay a percentage of your income to buy into their insurance?

In my state they offer insurance policies for people who don't have insurance. You pay accordingly to your income. It's for people who don't quailify for medical asistance.
    They do have a plan that I looked at, but the deductible and co-insurance are so high I would not be able to afford tests/treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by tic chick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't know how old you are, but if you're 26 or younger
    Older (not by much)
    some states let you pay for insurance on a sliding fee scale, meaning the less money you make the less you pay for insurance.
    My state did have a program like that, but they did away with it (I am sure you can guess why!)
    you should go down to the social services department in your county. ask them if there is any way you can get treatment if you are low income but not eligible for medicaid.
    Thats what I did, and was denied for all the programs that are available

and last, if you need to quit your job to get medicaid, i would do that and tell your boss you can't work anymore because of your heart probs and how bad you feel. maybe your boss can help you. i don't think you can be refused medicaid if you quit your job due to the fact that you can't work.
    I would be way worse off if I quit my job, not only would my parents be extremely mad at me, and at there limit with me, but I would not be able to afford the medical/assistive stuff that allows me to get by day to day

I have applied for medical assistance before, and ran into the same problems. The problems I have, is that inorder to qualify for medical assistance and some other programs I would qualify for, is that inorder to qualify, you must provide PROOF of a CURRENT diagnoses. Proof and current are key, as my dx of disabilities as a child dont count, as I dont have proof, nor are they current. Currently, I do not have any proof of a disability/dx, and I can not pay for the tests to get a dx, so the doctors could fill out the forms to provide proof.
    I am sure many get caught in this same situation, cant afford to pay for a diagnoses, so cant get medical assistance to get a diagnoses/treatment! Yet insurance companies have such a low standard of "pre-existing condition" to exclude everyone with a medical history from all but there most expensive plans!

i wish you luck and good health, roadracer. you're a nice person.
    Last edited by roadracer; 06-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Have you tried searching google for free traveling clinics in your state? I only recently found out these even existed. There aren't many that I've found though :(

Enter free traveling medical clinics in google and add your state after clinics
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 06-04-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.