Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical MJ

Distinguished Community Member

Default Medical MJ

I know over the years and a couple of forum changes we have talked this to death.......... but as I don't remember what I had for lunch (okay I do because I am eating lunch right now) I want to know every-bodies opinion and even why you feel that way. I take a ton of pain meds for pain and spasity cause by MS. I have not increased the amount that I take but am going to have to do SOMETHING as it is not working as well. Due to tolerance or MS getting worse is debatable.

Thanks in advance. And I am not advocating breaking any laws nor am I trying to start a political debate. This thread is for a true medical need not getting baked because you have a hang nail. As to whether or not I have EVER tried it I grew up in the 60's and 70's make your own decision.

I am for decriminalizing it altogether. That would save a lot of wasted money. And I am for medical marijuana as it does help w spasms, I am told. I don't know how the RX or selling of it would work- California seems to be a joke w anyone getting it if they answer some questions.

I would like to have a variety (I am told there are some) that has a more somatic rather than cerebral effect.

And, I would need to know if smoking anything is smoking- just the same. In that case, I wouldn't do it, at least not now.

Gary, out in Idaho,
    How does your garden grow?

What's out between the tomato plants?
    Is anyone to know?

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Gary,my personal feeling is if it helps why not? (assuming you can get it in Idaho). and yes smoking is smoking whatever the method or product.there are many different "flavor's".

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Some people like the Cannibutter for baking, better than smoking????
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Of course, you most likely "tried" it, most people of that era did. No big deal.

My SIL used MJ for pain while she was in hospice care. It helped her to get through when other pain meds couldn't. Many of the traditional meds actually caused added problems for her. MJ made an unbearable situation bearable and helped her with her appetite too.
    But honestly, why does a person have to be near the end of life before it's okay to ease the pain. Some people endure bad pain daily, way before the end is near!

Spasms are becoming more and more of a big problem for me. Since I live in CA, I am considering getting a med mj card, then getting in touch with my "inner farmer".

I agree that smoking anything is still smoking, and can't be good for the lungs. But there are other ways to injest MJ and I do love to eat good food! The internet is full of info and recipes. Then there's the issues of safety and expense, which is where the possibility of growing your own comes in. That seems like the best option, since you would always know where it's coming from, that no chemicals were used in production, and it would be much cheaper too. Just gotta keep it on the down-low. Like Ann said . . . between the tomatoes and cucumbers.

I don't know if your state has med MJ laws on the books, but it's worth looking into. I think it's a shame that anyone should have to risk losing property or freedom over this. Many choose to take the risk, but there really shouldn't be any risk involved.

I also think MJ should be legalized federally for those who need it for medical reasons. I am not getting the relief from pain from hydrocodone 5-500 and the doctor increased the dosage up to 2 tablets twice a day. If I could try MJ I would, but alas it is not legalized in this state.

Can you get it legally in your state? I know even that can be a problem since it is not a federal law. I have even thought of traveling to California since my husband has a cousin who lives in LA just to try it and see if it would help with the nerve tingling, numbness and pain. The thoughts of traveling bring up all the reasons I shouldn't travel and then how would I get it when I get back home?

So I vote for you to try it Gary and let us know if it helps. I am also at the end of my rope and don't know where to turn to get help.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

In MA it has been decriminalized. However you can't buy it, sell it or grow it. I guess you can just happen to "have some." Then there is the federal thing, as Gabrielle mentioned.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

The drugs Marinol and Sativex have the "active" ingredient in MJ which is known as THC. I know a woman who lives near me and is 10 years younger and has tried both and they have not worked. She refused to try MJ until it was legal to do so here and fought with our State Legislature until it was legalized for Medical use. She then tried it.

She tells me se never smoked because she had suffered from asthma. So...she used it like an inhaler. A couple of deep breaths in an out then a deep inhale of the MJ and held her breath as long as she could before she exhaled. She repeated the process 2 minutes later. She says that ALWAYS brought her pain to a manageable level. She has never needed more than two or three puffs every 6-8 hours at the most. She also said that after the first couple of months, she needed it less and less and told me the other day she keeps it on hand but the last time she needed it was three weeks ago. She also appreciates the fact that, for her, there is far less sleepiness and mental fog than with meds for pain or spasticity.

Cherie, I really wish we could legally try it but I don't have any fight left in me. It is good to know that this person got some pain relief from it. There is a recent study which shows while it isn't a cure for MS (who ever claimed it was?) it does help with the pain and spasticity. With the pain meds there is the mental fogginess.

That is all I would expect from it. Now if we can get the attention of our state legislature without too much of a fight......not much chance of that happening.....is there?

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Medical legalization of MJ is inevitable but there are so many people who believe the gateway drug rap.
    Hey! One potato chip is a gateway food to chip binging and a good heart attack...

Were that true, as a somewhat addictive personality I would be a greying hippie selling
    crocheted rainbow aura stone bags on a California beach- smoking and eating mega junk food.

I believe a LOT of NY politicians would be content to legalize MJ for us but this is New York and
    we have received the title of Most Dysfunctional Legislature in the Country
    A well deserved honor...not.
    And noone has an inkling how to significantly reduce illegal drug trade.

Increasingly uncomfortable from spasms and neurogenic pain, I want the choice of MJ
    in my pharma cabinet. If there is some way to medicate other than smoking count me in.
    I am vulnerable to respiratory infections.
    Last edited by renee; 05-30-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast